Audio By Carbonatix
The national executive of the Health Workers Group has declared an indefinite nationwide strike effective Monday.
The workers threatened last week they would embark on the industrial action to protest government’s inability to correct disparities in their salaries.
A leading member of the executive told Joy News they have called the strike despite threats from government to dismiss or withhold salaries of those who will join in the industrial action.
Government had said it had information only a few disgruntled members of the group were intent on embarking on the strike and that majority was against it. It however warned the workers they risked their jobs or salaries should they embark on any strikes.
In response to the threats, the chairman of the group, Raymond Tetteh said they could not be intimidated.
He told Joy News government had all along been trumpeting that the workers should use due process in addressing the issue but after they (health workers) had exhausted all avenues to no avail, they had no option but to lay down their tools.
He said the strike was a collective decision and was sure the members were prepared for whatever government had in store for them.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Foreign-based talent not an excuse for a weak domestic ecosystem – Sports Minister to GFA
2 minutes -
Chief of Staff calls for stronger enforcement of motorcycle safety measures
42 minutes -
Peace Council urges Naaga residents to report extremist activities
43 minutes -
Ghana hosts Africa CDC regional meeting on strengthening health security
44 minutes -
MTN Ghana deepens sustainability drive with focus on waste, digital inclusion
45 minutes -
AMA deploys taskforce to clamp down on drivers charging unapproved fares
46 minutes -
House of Hope receives clothing donation for human trafficking survivors
47 minutes -
KNUST statutes review sparks tensions as some UTAG members threaten strike
48 minutes -
Poor website accessibility could exclude persons with disabilities from essential services
54 minutes -
Internet Society Ghana trains persons with disabilities on digital accessibility
56 minutes -
National Service Authority receives GH¢40m for basic military training
60 minutes -
Türkiye’s exports to Africa rise 12.6% to $13.3bn in seven months
2 hours -
Togo detains two French journalists and their Togolese fixer
2 hours -
Today’s Front pages: Thursday, August 20, 2026
2 hours -
GIPA, GUTA outline roadmap to protect informal retail space for Ghanaians
3 hours