Audio By Carbonatix
The Deputy Minister of Tourism, Arts and Culture, Mark Okraku-Mantey has spoken about the demolition of the Fantasy Dome at the Trade Fair site.
Although he said he was yet to get more information on what really transpired, he noted at the African Music Business Summit held at the GIPC on Friday, March 22, 2024, that he was helping Leslie get a place to relocate his tent before the demolition happened.
“I am still probing. I am asking the legitimate question, why it went like that? You know that is under the Ministry of Trade. Because Leslie came to me personally that he wanted land to move the Dome.
"I gave him a place at the National Museum. Unfortunately, the Dome is way too big that after getting a place to fix it, they will struggle with the car park. That is why he didn’t take our land. So he took some steps to move,” he said at the summit.
On Saturday, March 16, 2024, the Ghana Trade Fair Company Limited demolished the 20,000-seater capacity Fantasy Dome.
According to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Trade Fair, Dr Agnes Adu, the action was taken after giving the owner by the CEO of Fantasy Entertainment, Leslie Quaynor, about eight notices to vacate the leased premises for a redevelopment project of the place., as stated in their tenancy agreement.
She stated redevelopment of the Trade Fair Centre had been ongoing for some time and as such, all previous tenants including owners of Fantasy Dome had been given notice to move.
“…the Fantasy Dome was the lone person holding out and refusing to move. And after 15 months of consistently giving notices to the owners of the Fantasy Dome, the owners and the developers we had no choice but to dismantle so that we can continue with the work,” she noted.

Dr. Adu said that per the agreement they signed with Fantasy Entertainment, they gave the CEO ample time to take off his structures.
Detailing the events that led to the demolishing, Mr Quaynor, in an interview with JoyNews, narrated that his lease had ended and the process to relocate the dome to another venue was underway. As such, he requested an extension to which the Trade Fair disagreed.

To prevent the destruction of his property, Mr Quaynor said he sought a writ and an injunction at an Accra High Court to ensure the Trade Fair management put a halt to any demolition exercise, giving him ample time to relocate and was served on the company at the premises.
Leslie noted that this is a big blow not just to him as a businessman but to the entertainment industry which needs event centres like these to thrive.

Latest Stories
-
The six KNUST air quality ambassadors championing clean air action across Ghana and West Africa
3 hours -
Big motivation if people want Spurs down – De Zerbi
3 hours -
West Ham relegation may cost London taxpayers £2.5m
3 hours -
Leeds promise bans over homophobic chants
4 hours -
Mahama recused himself over Damang Mine deal – Kwakye Ofosu rejects Ibrahim state capture claims
4 hours -
What is wrong with us? We celebrate buildings but neglect the systems that keep cities alive
4 hours -
Neymar included in Brazil’s 26-man World Cup squad
4 hours -
Why Ghana’s export story is no longer about raw cocoa
4 hours -
Man City preparing for Guardiola departure
4 hours -
The paradox of plenty: How Ghana’s farmers are being sacrificed on the altar of a cheap import agenda
4 hours -
Defence Ministry in ‘safe hands’ despite vacancy – Felix Kwakye Ofosu
5 hours -
Why no Defence Minister yet? – Felix Kwakye Ofosu says Mahama sees no urgency
5 hours -
Sam George petitions AG to probe $3.4m payment for CSA building project
5 hours -
The Abronye Charge Sheet – misuse in plain sight
5 hours -
Carvajal to leave Real Madrid after 23 years
5 hours