Audio By Carbonatix
Senior diplomats from Iran and major powers have met online on Wednesday to discuss the state of their nuclear deal that is eroding despite conciliatory signals from US president-elect Joe Biden.
The consultations are meant to prepare upcoming talks among foreign ministers from Iran, Britain, France, Germany, Russia and China, according to diplomats.
Iran has far more enriched uranium than allowed under the agreement that was reached in 2015, and has plans to install advanced equipment that could speed up this process, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) in Vienna said in two recent reports.
The nuclear deal is meant to prevent the Islamic Republic from amassing uranium that could be used for nuclear weapons. In return, major powers promised to end Iran's economic isolation by lifting sanctions.
US President Donald Trump pulled out of the pact and revived US sanctions in 2018. One year later, Iran started abandoning key provisions of the deal. Iran's pragmatic President Hassan Rowhani and his future US counterpart Biden have both said they are willing to return to the agreement.
However, Iranian hard-line parliamentarians pushed through a law earlier in December that would allow the government to ramp up uranium enrichment and block IAEA inspectors.
Wednesday's talks are also overshadowed by the assassination of a high-ranking Iranian nuclear physicist in late November. Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has put the blame on Israel, which is opposed to the nuclear deal.
Iran's execution of a dissident journalist on Saturday has further soured the diplomatic atmosphere.
Latest Stories
-
Galamsey fight has failed; water quality shows we’re retrogressing – Senyo Hosi
2 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: ‘Wey Gey Hey’ shrugs off SIMMS SHS, Nkwatia Presby to secure one-eighth spot
18 minutes -
Sammy Gyamfi accepts Vanderpuye’s apology, urges NDC unity
18 minutes -
Man assaults over 90-year-old aunt over witchcraft allegations in Navrongo
19 minutes -
Toobu says Big Push road works on N12 will curb robberies
21 minutes -
Galamsey has become a livelihood, an endemic problem – Senyo Hosi
29 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Wesley Grammar escapes Kofi Agyei’s grasp in nail-biting battle to book one-eighth spot
36 minutes -
Sky Train case: Solomon Asamoah challenges no-case ruling at Supreme Court
42 minutes -
Power outages are fixable; leadership must prioritise solutions – Kofi Bentil
47 minutes -
I dare Afenyo-Markin to face me – Sammy Gyamfi points to ‘underlying issues’ in GoldBod claims
49 minutes -
Health walk finds pockets of dirty air on some Accra streets
1 hour -
Ghana must rethink spending priorities amid recurring blackouts – Kofi Bentil
1 hour -
GoldBod is the best we’ve done with our gold resources yet – Kofi Bentil
2 hours -
‘I never insulted Afenyo-Markin, he got the response he deserved’ – Sammy Gyamfi
2 hours -
We’ve moved gold purchases to Interbank rate – GoldBod CEO
2 hours