The Deputy Minister designate for Water Resources Works and Housing, Kobby Acheampong has apologized to former president Kufuor for lying about lavish furnishings at his residence.
Somewhere last year, Mr. Acheampong claimed on Joy FM’s Current Affairs Programme, Newsfile, that Mr. Kufuor’s house was furnished at the cost of about $4 million.
According to him, some of the luxury items fitted in the then president’s house included large imported Alsatian dogs, Jacuzzis, and expensive remote control doors.
He vowed an authentic source had given him a document that indicated the lavish furnishing.
“I have a source that gave those items to me, listed those items….if he thinks it is otherwise let newsmen to go there, the building is still standing, there facilities are still there… let people go into the house,” Mr. Acheampong demanded.
However, when journalists visited Mr. Kufuor’s residence such opulent furnishing was non-existent as claimed by Mr. Acheampong.
At Mr. Acheampong’s vetting on Wednesday, April 01, 2009, the controversial issue of the furnishing of Mr. Kufuor’s residence took centre stage.
Whiles admitting that his source had misled him, the nominee for Deputy Water Resources Minister was not willing to apologise for failing to do due diligence by checking the authenticity of the information he had.
A member of the Appointments Committee of Parliament, Mr. E.T. Mensah reminded him apologizing for putting out wrong information and tarnishing the former president’s image unjustifiably would do everybody some good.
Mr. Acheampong listened to the advice and duly apologized.
“Mr. Chairman, I am not in the business of not apologizing for my wrongs, in this case I apologise for putting out that information,” he said.
Story by Malik Abass Daabu/Myjoyonline.com
- World Cup 2022: Cristiano Ronaldo a ‘total genius’ for winning Portugal penalty – Fifa
- BoG pegs cedi depreciation to dollar at 54%
- Bawumia launches $450m Gulf of Guinea Social Cohesion Project
- Bright Simons: Ghana’s 2023 Budget: A missed opportunity
- Ghana’s reserves fall to 2.9 months of import cover in October 2022; trade surplus hits $1.87bn
- I hope Afriyie Barnieh will be used in one of the games at the World Cup – Hearts of Oak General Manager
- Photos and videos: Artistes thrill patrons at HITZ Skuuls Reunion
- Messi scores in vital Argentina win over Mexico
- Daughter cannot watch father’s execution, judge rules
- Kuami Eugene, Eno Barony and Keche climax HITZ Skuuls Reunion’s return
- Ofori-Atta has learnt a bitter lesson – Bagbin on calls for Minister’s head
- 2022 World Cup: We didn’t ‘over-respect’ Portugal – Otto Addo
- Take tough decisions in life – GNPC boss to Presec Legon students
- Kelvin Tutu talks accountability in new single, ‘Fa kye’
- BOST MD emerges Petroleum CEO of the Year 2022
- 6th Ghana Energy Awards honours 31 individuals, companies
- 2022 World Cup: ‘Black Stars still have a big chance of making last 16’ – Otto Addo
- ‘We don’t want any mining activities on our land’ – Mampong Traditional Council insists
- How to let go of a married man, even if you still love him
- Otto Addo picks Germany as favourite to win World Cup
- My ex got married and I’m single and completely heartbroken
- WHO convenes Africa regional policy dialogue on investment and protection of health workforce
- 2022 World Cup: Otto Addo wary of Son Heung-min threat ahead of South Korea clash
- 2022 World Cup: ‘We will see a passionate Black Stars against South Korea – Otto Addo
- ‘It feels like it never left’ – Revitalised HITZ Skuul Reunion wins patrons’ hearts