The first hearing of the defamation suit filed by the former Trade Minister against Ashanti Regional Chairman of the New Patriotic Party (NPP) is expected to take place today at Kumasi.
Dr Ekwow Spio-Garbrah in the suit says Bernard Antwi Boasiako, popularly called Chairman Wontumi, allegedly called him a thief on his Wontumi TV and radio station.
He had joined Wontumi Multimedia Company Limited in the defamation suit for offering their platform to the defendant.
In the writ, Chairman Wontumi is quoted as saying, “All that Inusah Fuseini is saying is that even him, Inusah Fuseini is a thief. If you mention Spio-Garbrah’s name, he is a thief, Sylvester Mensah is a thief, Johsua Alabi is a thief, all their Presidential candidates are thieves, so if John Mahama is a thief, then let us allow him to continue stealing”.
According to Dr Spio-Garbrah, the description given him by Chairman Wontumi was “uttered, without caution by the defendant in a malicious manner with the intent to cause damage and injury to the plaintiff’s hard-earned global reputation.”
He’s demanding $10 million in damages.
Meanwhile, the defendant, Chairman Wontumi, in response to the suit, maintains that he meant no malice but was only interpreting the statement made by former Lands Minister, Inusah Fuseni.
- When our moral fundamentals are weak, the economy will explode
- CalBank denies MD exit
- Corruption is the deadliest disease to ever hit Ghana – Domelevo
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse protest: NMC, Amnesty International Ghana condemn Police brutality
- #OccupyJulorBiHouse: IGP Dampare just lost it, he’s just protecting ‘corrupt’ Akufo-Addo – Martin Kpebu
- Government must pay attention to issues plaguing creative arts industry – D-Black
- Without guarantor system, EC would’ve disenfranchised many eligible voters – Omane Boamah
- Nana Krobea Asante unhappy about Ghana’s decline in peace ranking
- OccupyGhana condemns arrests of peaceful demonstrators
- #OccupJulorbiHouse: Citizens’ rights above that of President, IGP – Kofi Bentil
- Parts of Accra flooded during Friday’s downpour
- Journalists Sanctuary International condemns latest police brutality against journalists in Ghana
- EU, SNV Ghana, Government convinced of green entrepreneurship potential
- Ko-Jo Cue teases new single with Joey B
- Pastor Eastwood Anaba’s Days of Wonder Conference illuminates Houston