Audio By Carbonatix
Nick Kyrgios says the abdominal strain that has forced him to withdraw from an exhibition match is "not too serious" and he is doing everything he can to be fit for the Australian Open.
The 29-year-old was scheduled to play in the exhibition alongside Novak Djokovic on Thursday but he wrote on Instagram an ultrasound had revealed a grade one strain.
He played his first singles match in 18 months last week at the Brisbane International but said afterwards the first-round defeat had left him in "throbbing" pain.
However, speaking to Australia's 7News, external on Wednesday, Kyrgios said he "knows his body" and will take precautions so he can appear at the first Grand Slam of the year, which starts in Melbourne on Sunday.
"I've still got five days up my sleeve," said Kyrgios.
"I'm probably not going to serve for the next couple of days, I've got a couple of practices scheduled and I'll do everything I can.
"It's not too serious. I'll just take it day by day and give myself the best chance."
Kyrgios, who is aiming to resume his career following knee and wrist surgeries, made his competitive comeback in the men's doubles in Brisbane alongside 24-time major winner Djokovic.
But after his narrow loss to Frenchman Giovanni Mpetshi Perricard in the singles, Kyrgios said he thought he would "almost need a miracle" for his "wrist to hold up" in Melbourne.
Latest Stories
-
Dorimon E-Block project nears completion after decade-long stall
4 hours -
GTA 6 leaks – a nightmare or a blip for the biggest video game of the year?
4 hours -
Two injured in stabbing attack at Canada Sikh temple
5 hours -
Modi spent years building his strong image – why is he making Gen Z reels now?
5 hours -
Canada ‘should fight’ as US trade deadline looms, Manitoba premier says
5 hours -
Man Utd agree ÂŁ70m fee for Brighton’s Baleba
5 hours -
Inter-Agency Football Gala: YEA organize event as part of National Youth Month celebration
5 hours -
Receiver fights High Court order to hand over No.1 Oxford Street Hotel to Cheddar’s company
6 hours -
Partey begins new chapter in Saudi Arabia with Al Shabab
6 hours -
NSMQ 2026: St. Francis Xavier deny debutants Pentecost SHS one-eighth spot
6 hours -
One killed in sword attack at Swedish school
6 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Tamale SHS sweep aside Kalpohin, Wenchi Methodist to reach one-eighth stage
6 hours -
Tupac murder accused told police in 2008 his nephew fired fatal shots
7 hours -
Heart of the Beast to Practical Magic 2: 10 of the best films to watch this September
7 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Tears of relief as Labone SHS survive Notre Dame Sem. in thriller to secure one-eighth spot
7 hours