Audio By Carbonatix
Amid a public outcry, officials in Florida say they plan to review whether the firing of a lifeguard who left his "zone" to help save a swimmer was justified.
Tomas Lopez, the 21-year-old lifeguard, was fired on Monday after he left his station to help a man who had been pulled out of the water in an unprotected area of Hallandale Beach.
According to the Orlando Sun Sentinel, Lopez and an off-duty nurse tended to the man, a 21-year-old from Estonia, until paramedics arrived. The man—who is recovering at a local hospital—was in a "swim at your own risk" area of the beach about 1,500 feet south of the boundary lifeguards are expected to patrol.
"I was on stand, and guests came up to me and told me there was someone drowning, that people were screaming and so I started running in the direction," Lopez told NBC Miami. "I ran out to do the job I was trained to do—I didn't think about it at all."
Lopez' dismissal sparked near-immediate criticism; two fellow guards quit in protest.
"We are not a fire-rescue operation," Jeff Ellis, head of company that manages the lifeguards, told the paper. "We are strictly a lifeguard organization—we limit what we do to the protected swimming zones that we've agreed to service." The company has provided lifeguards for the area's public beaches and pools since 2003.
"We have liability issues and can't go out of the protected area," Lopez's supervisor, Susan Ellis, told WPTV. "What he did was his own decision. He knew the company rules and did what he thought he needed to do."
"If we find our actions on the part of the leadership team were inappropriate, we will rectify it based upon the information that comes forward," Ellis added. The review is expected to be completed Friday.
"We take the safety of all visitors to our beaches very seriously," Hallandale Beach City Manager Renee Crichton said in a statement. "Whether they are in a protected area or unprotected area, we believe aid must be rendered."
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Tamale Metropolitan Assembly distributes 10,000 bags of fertiliser to farmers
3 minutes -
TUSAAG suspends strike, resumes work after renewed talks with government
7 minutes -
PIAC marks 15 years of oil revenue accountability and transparency
14 minutes -
Adongo calls for non-political interference in $1.46bn Heritage Fund reviewÂ
19 minutes -
FDA records GH¢70m surplus in 2025 amid concerns over ageing lab equipment
21 minutes -
Arise Ghana demands stronger commitment to end galamsey
23 minutes -
96% of Ghanaian pensioners willing to work beyond retirement age – Study
26 minutes -
Ghana gets nuclear power plant simulatorÂ
32 minutes -
Temporary Akosombo power control facility to be ready by September – Energy Ministry
33 minutes -
GMTF, Atlantic Lifesciences explore local production of cancer and heart medicines
37 minutes -
GHS medical-legal claims hit GH¢400m in three years
43 minutes -
Mahama cautions Ghanaians not to take religious freedom for granted
59 minutes -
We need development pathway, not selection exercise – Sports Minister urges football stakeholders
1 hour -
Government prioritises foundational learning to improve education outcomes Â
1 hour -
Ghana, Côte d’Ivoire deepen maritime security cooperation through joint boundary inspection
1 hour