Lisa Marie Presley, the only child of rock ‘n’ roll legend Elvis, has died aged 54, her mother has said.
“It is with a heavy heart that I must share the devastating news that my beautiful daughter Lisa Marie has left us,” Priscilla Presley said.
Lisa Marie, also a singer, was rushed to hospital earlier on Thursday. US media say she suffered cardiac arrest.
She was found unresponsive at her home in Calabasas, California, sources told US outlet TMZ.
“She was the most passionate, strong and loving woman I have ever known,” Priscilla Presley said in a statement.
“We ask for privacy as we try to deal with this profound loss.”
Her mother gave no details about the possible cause of death.
Citing a source close to Lisa Marie Presley, TMZ reported that the star was found unresponsive in her bedroom on Thursday morning. At about the same time her former husband Danny Keough, who also lives at the property, arrived and performed CPR.
The outlet said that she had suffered a “full arrest” before a bystander administered epinephrine – commonly known as adrenaline – to help her regain a pulse.
Paramedics arrived shortly afterwards, taking Presley to hospital.
Days before her death, she had visited Graceland, the mansion owned by her father in Memphis, Tennessee, to celebrate what would have been his 88th birthday on 8 January.
Tributes started pouring in from across America soon after Lisa Marie’s death was reported.
Actor Tom Hanks played her father’s manager Col Tom Parker in Baz Luhrmann’s 2022 biopic Elvis. On behalf of the couple, Hanks’ wife Rita Wilson posted on Instagram that their hearts were “broken”.
“Tom and I had spent some time with the family during the Elvis movie promotional tour. Lisa Marie was so honest and direct, vulnerable, in a state of anticipation about the movie,” she wrote.
“She spoke so eloquently about her father, what the movie meant to her, that it was a celebration of her dad.”
Lisa Marie Presley was last seen in public on Tuesday night at the Golden Globes Awards in Beverly Hills.
Accompanied by her mother, the pair were seen in tears as they watched the show, where Austin Butler won best actor in a film drama, for his portrayal of her father in Luhrmann’s movie.
During an emotional speech, the actor thanked the Presley family for their help during the film.
“Thank you guys, thank you for opening your hearts, your memories, your home to me,” Butler said. “Lisa Marie, Priscilla, I love you forever.”
Born in 1968, Lisa Marie went on to follow in her father’s footsteps and forged a career in music. The star released three albums, with her 2003 debut studio album selling hundreds of thousands of copies and receiving generally positive reviews.
The star was also well-known for a series of high-profile marriages to pop legend Michael Jackson, actor Nicholas Cage and musicians Danny Keough and Michael Lockwood.
She had four children, including the actress Riley Keough. Presley’s son, Benjamin Keough, killed himself in 2020.
Last August, Presley wrote an an essay on grief for US publication People about “the horrific reality” of how she felt after her son’s death.
“I’ve dealt with death, grief and loss since the age of nine years old,” she wrote, referring to her age when Elvis died in 1977. “I’ve had more than anyone’s fair share of it in my lifetime and somehow, I’ve made it this far.”
Grammy-award winning songwriter Diane Warren expressed her sorrow at the “horrible news”. The singer added that “the entire world is sending love and prayers to Priscilla and Lisa Marie’s children right now”.
Beach Boys co-founder Brian Wilson also paid tribute, saying was “hard to take when someone so young and full of life passes on”.
US pop star Pink described Presley her as “one of a kind” and “smart as a whip, sensitive [and] talented”, while Oscar-winning actress Marlee Matlin wrote a message for Presley’s mother Priscilla.
“I had the chance to know Cilla Presley when I was on Dancing With the Stars and as a mother, I can’t imagine the pain she must be going through with the untimely passing of Lisa Marie,” she said.
- 50 people injured after accident involving 4 cars on Kasoa-Weija road
- Assin North by-election: EC denies NDC’s accusation of inserting candidate’s name in voters register
- Nogokpo saga: Perez Chapel Bishop declares week-long fast over controversy
- Encourage acquisition, mergers of banks and NBFIs if needed – IMF tells government
- Agya Koo’s new plush mansion which got social media talking
- Two police officers injured as ghetto boys escape with handcuffs during arrest at Gomoa Nyanyano
- Assin North by-election: NDC accuses NPP, EC of plotting to insert an unqualified candidate’s name in voters register
- ‘I can’t believe I am here’ – Tariq Lamptey on his first start at the World Cup for Ghana
- betPawa PL: Hearts of Oak lose 4th consecutive game; Medeama drop points
- NPA impounds 181,000 litres of crude oil, diesel in Western Region
- Burna Boy makes history in London with sellout stadium show
- UEW staff write to Akufo-Addo to remove Governing Council Chair over abuse of office, appointment of VC
- Woman jailed over infant deaths pardoned
- Ecobank Ghana supports Zero Malaria Business Leadership Initiative with $120,000
- Prince Harry accused of ‘wasting time’
- Billie Jean King Cup: Richard Ayi Dartey announces Ghana’s squad
- Five bills expected to be laid as Parliament reconvenes tomorrow
- 2023 AFCONQ: Asamoah Gyan expresses ‘worry’ about Black Stars squad for Madagascar clash
- Lasmid leaves Highly Spiritual Music – Kaywa confirms
- June 4 uprising occurred for far less than what is happening in Ghana today – Mahama
- There is no law to empower GHAMRO to charge for music play – Rex Omar
- Gunmen kill dozens and kidnap children in northern Nigeria
- Power Purchase Agreements: Let’s go for least-cost procurement competitive tender regime – former VRA Boss
- Wimbledon: Russian and Belarusian players still waiting for visas to enter UK
- Ga Traditional Council entreats citizens to adhere to customary laws