Audio By Carbonatix
Organisers of the London Olympics 2012 say last year’s London riots which claimed at least five lives- bad as it was- is good experience for the city ready to host the world in the most quintessential sporting activity- Olympic games.
The Director of Foreign and Commonwealth Office of the London 2012, Andrew Mitchell told a delegation of international journalists, Monday, the London riots offered a great challenge to policing but was quick to add it provided “additional learning” for London security which has a long history of managing protests.
A peaceful protest against the police's fatal shooting of a 29 year old Mark Duggan on August 6, 2011, turned violent with several shops looted and arson attacks by youths in the city. Four days of criminality, looting and unprecedented attacks which was replicated in several cities led to at least 13 other injuries and an estimated £200 million worth of property being damaged.
But the city has gotten over the skirmishes and looks ahead towards a promising festival of games.
Buoyed by its rich history of successful organization of the Commonwealth games and other high profile events Mitchell assured of absolute security before during and after the 3 week event.
He said an estimated number of 130 World leaders and their entourage are expected to be present at the opening ceremony of the London 2012, with four billion more watching the games live on TV.
Andrew Mitchell was less fascinated about the cost of building the infrastructure for the London Olympics- £9.3 billion- than he was about the legacy the games will live to posterity.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
14 arrested over suspected narcotics cultivation, distribution in Upper East
3 minutes -
Lands Minister backs calls for strategic investor to revive VALCO
5 minutes -
Non-interest bonds could help finance Ghana’s hospitals, roads and schools – Dr Shaibu Ali
13 minutes -
Accra High court halts Buffer Stock trial pending Supreme Court ruling on vacation sittings
18 minutes -
Teshie Telephone Pole residents appeal for urgent action over prolonged water shortage
20 minutes -
Understanding significance of investments
26 minutes -
KMA donates 400 recycled plastic desks to four Kumasi SHSs
29 minutes -
IES calls for enforcement of Ghana’s Domestic Market Obligation as TOR resumes operations
32 minutes -
Galamsey destroying fish farms, threatening aquaculture – Fisheries Commission
45 minutes -
Adu-Boahene trial put on hold pending Supreme Court decision on legal vacation
54 minutes -
Toxic exposure from galamsey puts elderly at greater risk of kidney damage — Public health expert
1 hour -
Big talk, small receipts: the politics of promises and policy
1 hour -
Mahama says Ghana will reduce 70% medicine import dependence under five-year plan
1 hour -
Study reveals high rate of uropathogens among Ghanaian elderly
1 hour -
Christabel wins first Star Chef title as Big Chef Season 5 begins
1 hour