Audio By Carbonatix
Ghana’s under-17 female football team, Black Maidens, are awaiting a directive from the Confederation of African Football (CAF) to know if their Women’s World Cup qualifier against Congo Brazzaville at the Accra Sports Stadium on Sunday will come off as scheduled.
This is as a result of a letter from the Congolese federation to CAF last Wednesday, requesting that the match be rescheduled because they had encountered some “technical challenges”.
The Congolese were expected in Accra yesterday for Sunday’s encounter, with the Maidens already in Accra from their Prampram camping base to prepare for the first leg clash.
However, a member of the GFA Technical Directorate, who spoke to this paper on condition of anonymity, is rather pushing for the Maidens to be declared winners of the match because FIFA and CAF regulations stipulate that only a force majeure could occasion a match of this nature to be rescheduled at short notice.
To ascertain whether such a request had already been sent to CAF, the Ghana Football Association (GFA) upon receiving the letter from its Congolese counterpart, also wrote immediately to the continental body for confirmation and the next line of action.
Emmanuel Gyimah, the acting General Secretary of the GFA, told the Graphic Sports yesterday that Ghana could only wait for a directive from CAF.
“We only copied a letter that was addressed to CAF. So to be sure that it was genuine, we also wrote to CAF for confirmation and its decision on the matter.
“In the interim, the Maidens are still training as we don’t know if the request for rescheduling will be granted or not,” Mr Gyimah indicated.
The Maidens are scheduled to play Congo in the two-leg tie in this round. The winners would then advance to the final round where six teams grouped into three, would play one another in a two-leg tie with the eventual three winners advancing to the Under-17 World Cup to be held in Costa Rica in March, 2014.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
GoldBod cannot hide behind agency role to escape accountability – Afenyo-Markin
2 minutes -
‘You don’t get to keep the fees and disown the costs’ – Afenyo-Markin challenges GoldBod
7 minutes -
GNPC turns 40, targets oil production recovery and $3.5bn fresh investment
16 minutes -
Minority will speak boldly on GoldBod losses despite attacks – Afenyo-Markin vows
21 minutes -
Moody’s upgrades EBID rating to B1, citing stronger finances and shareholder support
30 minutes -
GoldBod cannot make losses trading gold – Afenyo-Markin
38 minutes -
Papaye, KFC and Pizzaman customers among most targeted as TrustGH uncovers nearly 1,000 scam numbers cloning Google business profiles of major food chains
48 minutes -
2026 U20 WWC: ‘We are in a tough group’ – Black Princesses’ Linda Owusu Ansah
55 minutes -
2026 U20 WWC: Ghana’s Ambassador to Czech Republic welcomes Black Princesses to Poland
1 hour -
Oti NPP executives demand completion of stalled government projects
2 hours -
Jinapor demands answers as Alima Mahama is asked to pay for Embassy spending outside her tenure
2 hours -
Russia doubles scholarships for Ghanaian students to 240 annually
2 hours -
Cedi’s year-to-date loss slumps to 4.09% as recent gains gather pace
2 hours -
‘Home has spoken’ – Justin Kodua Frimpong says as Ashanti delegates back his re-election bid
2 hours -
Mustapha Abdul-Hamid, seven others’ NPA case adjourned to August 27
2 hours