Have you ever had a really tough day – a day in which absolutely nothing seems to go according to plan? I had a day like that last week.
Everything that could possibly go wrong actually went wrong. My first meeting of the day overran by more than an hour, and the whole day went downhill from there.
I missed an important appointment, lost an important phone number, forgot an important birthday, my battery died at the wrong time, and I missed several important phone calls, I lost my keys… in fact, by the time I flung myself into the sofa in the evening, I was beginning to wonder why God would allow such terrible things to happen to me, especially when I had such good intentions with everything I had wanted to achieve that day.
But just as I started to question God and complain about my circumstances, I remembered a story I once read in a hospital magazine.
I hadn’t paid much attention to it at the time, but, like all the tools God gives you in your journey through life, it was tucked away in some far corner of my mind, saved for a day when I would need it.
As it turns out, today is that day. You will understand why when you hear the story, which I am retelling in my own unique way.
Once, there was a man who had a terrible day. Everything that could possibly go wrong went wrong. Feeling peeved, he took his complaints to God.
“God, can i ask you a question? Promise you won’t get mad….”
God said with a smile, “Ok, I promise.”
So the man asked, “God, why did you let so much bad stuff happen to me today?”
“What do you mean, my son?”
The man was warming up to his theme;
“Well, first, you made me wake up late, and then my car took forever to start. At lunch they made my sandwich wrong and I had to wait for another one. On the way home, my phone went dead, just as I answered an important call. And on top of it all, when I got home – I just wanted to play some soothing music on my sound system, but, it wouldn’t work! Nothing went right today! Why did you do that?”
God stroked His beard and crinkled His nose. From nowhere, a little notebook appeared in His hands and He flipped through the pages until He arrived at the right entry.
“Ok, well let me see here… Aha! The Angel of Death was at your bed this morning and I had to send one of my Angels to battle him to save your life. Now the sight of two angels fighting, Bro, it’s bad for your brain, so I thought I’d let you sleep through that.
“I didn’t let your car start on time, because there was a drunk driver on your route who would have hit you if you were on the road at your usual time.
“Now, the first person who made your sandwich today had Covid-19, and I didn’t want you to catch it, because you can’t afford to miss even one more day of work.
“Your phone went dead because the person who was calling you was planning to tell lies about whatever you said to her on that call. I made sure you didn’t even talk to her, so you are now covered.
“Oh, and that sound system had an electrical fault that was going to trip all the power fuses in your house tonight. I didn’t think you wanted to spend the evening in the dark. Especially not after the kind of day you’d had.”
The man was ashamed. “I’m so sorry, God,” he mumbled quietly.
God gave him a friendly pat on the back. “Dude. Don’t be sorry; just learn to trust me in all things, the good as well as the bad.
The man smiled sheepishly and said, “I will. And God… I just want to say thank you for everything today.”
My dear friend, His ways are not our ways. We need to remember that, and learn to get down on our knees and thank the Lord for every bad day we have ever had, for God knows they could have been much, much worse.
I don’t need to say more than that, do I?
My name is Kojo Yankson, and God’s plan for me is always better than mine.
GOOD MORNING, GHANAFO!
- Overborrowing is one of Akufo-Addo’s biggest mistakes – Prof Adei
- Fella Makafui reacts after Twitter user accuses her of ‘sleeping’ with Medikal’s ex-manager
- ‘Western Togoland’: 5 secessionists handed 5 years in jail each
- GALLERY: Best pictures from Black Stars training at Accra Sports Stadium on Monday
- Go to school, don’t wait to get everything on your prospectus – Education Minister to SHS freshers
- My wife got to know she was pregnant after robbery attack – Akesse Brempong
- John Mahama files nomination to contest NDC flagbearer race
- DDEP: Financial institutions regulators should protect customers, not government – Dan Seddoh
- Profile of Anthony Akoto Osei
- Falling interest rates to boost private sector growth – Alhassan Andani
- We are one people – Bawumia and Mahama laud peaceful enskinment of new Yagbonwura
- Kylian Mbappe replaces Hugo Lloris as France national team captain
- AFCON 2023Q: Black Stars hold first training at Baba Yara Stadium [Photos]
- Alpha Beta Christian College wins 2nd Inter-School Girls Debate Championship
- Today’s front pages: Wednesday, March 22, 2023
- NDC Parliamentary primaries: We’re not protecting any sitting MP – Sammy Gyamfi
- Your electricity bill does not have a party colour – ECG MD
- MFWA to hold national-level forum on misinformation, peace and democratic consolidation today
- MFWA builds capacity of journalists in fact-checking
- We have developed key interventions to safeguard clients pension funds- Enterprise Trustees
- ECG building dockets on those who have stolen power – Samuel Mahama
- Digitalisation to help reduce ECG’s commercial losses – Samuel Mahama
- ECG mass disconnection campaign to be sustained indefinitely – Samuel Mahama
- We’ll meter all distribution transformers to fight power theft – Samuel Mahama
- Former Accra Regional Hospital Medical Director files nomination for Garu