Audio By Carbonatix
The Miss South Africa beauty contestant at the centre of a nationality row has withdrawn from the competition, saying she decided for her and her family's safety and well-being.
Chidimma Adetshina's announcement on Instagram came a day after a preliminary investigation by the Home Affairs Department found that her mother may have committed "identity theft" to become a South African national.
Ms Adetshina - a 23-year-old law student - said she was born in Soweto, a township next to Johannesburg, and grew up in Cape Town.
In media interviews, she explained her father was Nigerian and her mother was a South African of Mozambican descent.
For weeks her roots have been at the centre of a social media storm, with some South Africans questioning whether she was a South African.
As the row escalated, the organisers of the Miss South Africa pageant asked the Home Affairs Department to conduct an investigation ahead of the event on Saturday.

In a statement on Wednesday, the Department said it had so far found that the identity of an "innocent" South African mother "may have been stolen" by Ms Adetshina's mother.
However, Ms Adetshina "could not have participated in the alleged unlawful actions of her mother as she was an infant at the time", the department said.
It added that it was conducting further investigations to press criminal charges, while also obtaining legal advice "on the implications of the alleged fraudulent activity on Adetshina's citizenship status".
In an Instagram post, Ms Adetshina did not respond to the findings, but said she had taken the "difficult decision" to withdraw from the competition.
She said she was grateful "for all the love and support" she had received, and wished the remaining contestants the best.
"Whoever wears the crown, represents us all," Ms Adetshina added.
Latest Stories
-
BoG Governor calls for balance between financial innovation and stability
34 seconds -
Regulate the risk, not the technology – Governor Asiama advises central banks
1 minute -
NIA clears 640,000 card backlog, expands nationwide and Diaspora operations
3 minutes -
Ghana to launch first electronic visa system on Africa Day – Ablakwa announces
5 minutes -
Sparqlyn congratulates Shatta Wale on IRAWMA wins, recounts old memories
8 minutes -
Agriculture Ministry warns against unauthorised livestock markets ahead of Eid
19 minutes -
Dr Gideon Boako predicts an increase in bank charges from June 4
25 minutes -
To what degree can universities alone save Africa?
26 minutes -
Minority vows to block new taxes, cites hardship on Ghanaians
27 minutes -
Ghana’s Parliament among the most transparent in Africa – Mahama Ayariga
31 minutes -
JoyNews reports lead to restoration of Awoshie–Ablekuma traffic lights, easing safety concerns
35 minutes -
Ghana Sports Fund to rely on lotto, gaming revenue and corporate support — Administrator
42 minutes -
PAC urges Finance Ministry to conduct annual audits of gov’t arrears to curb financial irregularities
44 minutes -
S.K. Agyemang launches ‘Menpaebo’ album with Light Seekers
46 minutes -
Punishing perpetrators only way to end electoral violence — Asiedu Nketia
46 minutes