Audio By Carbonatix
The Chairman of the National Film Authority (NFA), Socrate Safo says all unapproved advertisements surrounding money ritual or money doubling will be clamped down starting May 1.
In an interview with Emefa Apawu on Joy FM's Midday News, he stated that such businesses would be required to pass through the offices of the Security and Exchange Commission (SEC) and Bank of Ghana (BoG) for a license to operate in money doubling business.
He, therefore, stated that persons without license to operate in such businesses who request for their content to be broadcasted would be turned down.
"If you approach us with a program and the content is about money doubling, then we expect you to have such a license. If you are Mallam and you want to double money all we are requiring from you is to show us a license you have from the Security and Exchange Commission and the Bank of Ghana to operate as a money doubler. If you don't have it, then we can't classify such content for you," he said.
Again, Mr Safo stated that the law on classification was scheduled for implementation June last year but further engagement with Ghana Independent Broadcasters Association (GIBA) resulted in its delay.
He noted that starting May 1, in accordance with the Development and Classification of film Act 953, contents including documentaries, music videos, television programmes before they are broadcasted will undergo review by the Authority for approval.
"We (National Film Authority) have been with them (GIBA) back and forth till date and we have set May 1, to start implementing the law and this stage was actually set in collaboration with GIBA. So actually it has been a matter of engagement with the stakeholders," he said.
This initiative comes after the gruesome murder of a 10-year-old boy orchestrated by some two teenagers at Kasoa in the Central Region.
According to Police reports, the remains of Ishmael Mensah was to be used for a ritual to enable the suspects to get rich quickly with the help of a spiritualist they spotted on television.
This has resulted in many demanding that all money ritual advertisement be taken down to help prevent a similar incident from happening.
Latest Stories
-
PAC urges Finance Ministry to conduct annual audits of gov’t arrears to curb financial irregularities
2 minutes -
S.K. Agyemang launches ‘Menpaebo’ album with Light Seekers
4 minutes -
Punishing perpetrators only way to end electoral violence — Asiedu Nketia
4 minutes -
KN Foundation, partners donate GHC20,000 and items to Nsawam Prison inmates
7 minutes -
Ghana Sports Fund will transform sports infrastructure within five to ten years — NSA boss
10 minutes -
GIB advocates deeper financial sector collaboration for growth
11 minutes -
Children must be supported to discover and develop their talents — Advocate
13 minutes -
One Nation Reggae Festival: Sierra Leone builds cultural bridge between Africa and the Caribbean
13 minutes -
New Metro Mass buses will improve safety, comfort and efficiency — Vice President
14 minutes -
Funny Face declares himself mental health advocate after recovery journey
23 minutes -
KN Foundation outreach: ‘This is not your permanent home’ – Okraku brings hope to Nsawam inmates
31 minutes -
Samson Deen sponsors Para Powerlifting team for African Championship qualification campaign
31 minutes -
Tolon NDC youth petition Asiedu Nketia over killing of party supporter ‘Alhaji’ Haruna Saibu
33 minutes -
Albert Teye wins Kia Ghana World Cup contest grand prize on Joy FM
40 minutes -
Transport Minister urges Metro Mass Transit to strengthen internal capacity for fleet expansion
48 minutes