Audio By Carbonatix
A two-match ban given to Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho for poking Barcelona assistant Tito Vilanova in the eye has been lifted as part of a general amnesty, the Spanish football federation (RFEF) said on Tuesday.
The decision, announced at the RFEF's general assembly in Madrid, raises the prospect of a clash between the federation and Barca, whose president Sandro Rosell said last month he would not allow Mourinho's aggression to go unpunished.
The volatile Portuguese was sanctioned after attacking Vilanova, who has since taken over as first-team coach from Pep Guardiola, from behind during a Super Cup match last season.
The ban, applicable only in the Super Cup, was rescinded by RFEF president Angel Maria Villar, who traditionally exonerates some players and coaches after sealing re-election. He was voted in unopposed for a seventh four-year term in February.
"Match bans up to four games and stadium bans up to two games will not be enforced," the RFEF ruled, according to a note distributed at the assembly.
The ruling meant Vilanova's one-match ban for reacting to Mourinho's aggression was also lifted.
Both can take their place on the bench when La Liga champions Real and King's Cup winners Barca meet next month in the 2012 Super Cup, the two-legged curtain-raiser to the season.
Rosell suggested last month the club would challenge any decision to exonerate Mourinho.
"We do not accept that an aggression towards our coach is not punished," Rosell said.
"If this happens, we will speak to the appropriate party, we will not let it go unpunished."
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Galamsey could trigger major health crisis within five years — Medical experts warn
3 minutes -
Defending champions SUSEC, Twene Amanfo SHTS secure Bono Zone 2 spots in 2026 NPSC
16 minutes -
ICU-Ghana General Secretary Morgan Ayawine named Africa’s Most Respected CEO in Labour Leadership
17 minutes -
GTEC orders university administrators back to work, gives VCs 48 hours to name defiers
25 minutes -
Chief arrested for allegedly engaging in illegal mining in Tano North
28 minutes -
Fighting fires, fighting for breath: The hidden health toll on Ghana’s firefighters – and the support that still falls short
34 minutes -
Presbyterian Church of Ghana clarifies role of Christians in stool/skin offices
37 minutes -
‘There is no emergency’ – Godfred Dame criticises vacation hearing in Abdul-Hamid case
41 minutes -
Eco SIM and sustainability, making mobile technology greener
54 minutes -
Daily Insight for CEOs: Building a future-ready organization
54 minutes -
The Hunger Project-Ghana commissions ICT Centre at Domi Achiansa Epicenter to bridge digital divide.
55 minutes -
Nabdam: Police arrest 14 for cultivating and distributing ‘wee’
55 minutes -
Afro-Arab Drive Green expands EV fleet to boost jobs through energy transition
59 minutes -
Sunyani Paramount Chief warns chiefs against cemetery land sales and encroachment
59 minutes -
Trump envoy Kushner arrives in Israel after rare Hamas talks on Gaza peace plan
60 minutes