Audio By Carbonatix
A ranking member of the Youth and Sports Committee in Parliament is accusing the Sports Minister and his deputy of playing football with the budget for Ghana's preparation for the 2014 World Cup.
According to Isaac Asiamah, the deputy Sports Minister Joseph Yamin told the Committee that an amount of 24 million cedis had been budgeted for the Stars' preparation to Brazil 2014.
But when the substantive minister Elvis Afriyie Ankrah appeared before the House on Tuesday, he said no figure has yet been budgeted for next year's World Cup.
The Minister said any figure mentioned could only be "speculative" because he has not received any budget from the FA.
He ran the legislators through a tall list of sponsors including, Guinness, Ghana National Petroleum Corporation (GNPC), and their annual sponsorship sum, but insisted no budget has yet been made available.
Speaking to Joy News, the Ranking Member of the Committee Isaac Asiamah deplored the controversy in the figures being bandied about.
He found it intriguing that the Deputy Minister would tell Parliament that a figure of 24 million had been budgeted for the Black Stars' preparation only for his substantive minister to rubbish the figures and describe it as purely speculative.
Even more serious is the claim by the Minister that no budget has yet been made for the Black Stars in 2014, Isaac Asiamah argued.
He said Parliament will by tomorrow pass the Appropriation Act which will empower the executive to spend monies for the 2014 financial year.
So for the Minister to tell Parliament that there is no budget yet for the Black Stars for the 2014 financial year is unacceptable.
"Parliament has to be taken seriously" he told Joy News' Evans Mensah, adding, he will pursue the case to its logical conclusion.
In a reaction, the deputy Minister Joseph Yamin admitted that he had told the committee the budget for the Black Stars' preparation was 24 million cedis but was quick to add that figure was only an estimate.
According to him, the substantive Minister knew about the 24 million cedis estimate but did not say if he had the authority of the minister to disclose it to Parliament.
Latest Stories
-
Government will not tolerate shoddy road projects – Roads Minister
32 minutes -
25/26 GPL: Vision end campaign with win over Aduana
38 minutes -
GPL 2025/26: Young Apostles survive relegation with win over SamartexÂ
50 minutes -
Gunmen allegedly kidnap teenager at Kabulya near Bimbilla, demand ransom
1 hour -
Fernandes breaks assist record as Brighton land Euro spot despite loss
1 hour -
Sunderland reach Europa League at Chelsea’s expense
1 hour -
Spurs beat Everton to secure Premier League survival
1 hour -
Xenophobia: Ghana to receive first batch of evacuees from South Africa on May 27
2 hours -
GPL 2025/26: Swedru All Blacks stun Kotoko in dramatic final-day comeback
2 hours -
Slump continues as cedi becomes worst-performing currency in sub-Saharan Africa in 2026
2 hours -
Petroleum Commission hails 7 Eleven Energy Services’ indigenous bolt and nut plant as sign of local content growth
2 hours -
Keta MP offers relief to Afiadenyigba SHS after fire outbreak
3 hours -
UMaT graduates 95 students, commits to training 1,000 coders
3 hours -
Modified Taxation Scheme: Ghana’s surest way to inclusive tax administrationÂ
3 hours -
Asunafo North Cocoa Farmers Union and partners rescue rural schools from infrastructure crisis
3 hours