The Local Government Minister has directed all Metropolitan, Municipal, and District Chief Executives (MMDCEs) to negotiate for free airtime on FM station so they can educate the public on coronavirus preventive measures.
According to Hajia Alima Mahama, the MMDCEs are also expected to make available handwashing facilities with running water and hand sanitisers at vantage points in markets and all public places.
The instruction follows a directive by President Akufo-Addo to the Ministry of Local Government to liaise with relevant authorities to improve hygiene standards in the markets.
President Akufo-Addo in his address to the nation on Sunday directed schools across the country to shut down effective Monday, March 16.
He also announced a ban on all public gatherings before directing the Ministry of Local Government to liaise with other institutions to curb the spread of the virus which has affected some six individuals.
Responding to these directives in a press release to the Metropolitan, Municipal and District Assemblies (MMDAs), the sector minister asked the assemblies to adhere to the directives with immediate effect by putting the necessary measures in place.
Find the press release below
- Police arrest man flogging toddler in viral video
- Daddy Lumba opens up on being bedridden for over 5 years
- ‘Akufo-Addo must resign; he’s giving us too much headache’ – Kpebu
- Loans to become more expensive as BoG hikes policy rate to 24.5%
- Government increases cocoa price by 21% to ¢800 a bag
- Black Sherif releases ‘The Villain I Never Was’
- Ghana’s debt to GDP is not properly accounted for – Ato Forson
- Nigerian oil export terminal had theft line into sea for 9 years
- Residents of Ashalaja sleep in kiosks as their homes remain flooded
- IMF won’t lend to Ghana if debt levels are unsustainable – Theo Acheampong
- #NoToGalamsey: Failure to deal with ‘galamsey’ could lead to street terrorism – Prof. Gatsi
- AngloGold Ashanti pleased with community support to ward off illegal miners from Obuasi concession
- Nigerian singer Teni gifts SHS teacher a car
- Prosecute Chairman Wontumi, Charles Bissue, others neck-deep in galamsey – NDC to Akufo-Addo
- Cities and Habitats, Ecobank launch ‘Rent to Own Boafo) home ownership package
- A-G advises Interior Ministry to compensate Ejura shooting victims
- GEPA optimistic of achieving 2029 NTES revenue target of $25.3bn
- Two health institutions in UK award £10 million to fight non-communicable diseases in West Africa
- Parliament warns Herald Editor to cease exposés on controversial GNPC/Genser Energy contract
- Cardiovascular diseases on the rise in Ghana; access to healthcare still a challenge – Report
- Power supply was curtailed to Weija, adjourning communities due to flood – ECG
- Nigeria Plans 15% Increase in Borrowing to Fund Record Deficit
- Government running Ghana as “a satellite state of international capital” – Martin Amidu
- Playback: NDC holds presser on illegal mining
- Daniel Afriyie Barnieh to run down Hearts contract as he rejects new deal