Audio By Carbonatix
Twenty maternal deaths and 111 under-five-years deaths were recorded in the New Juaben municipality last year, Mr Samuel Agyemang Boateng, acting Municipal Director of Health Service, has said.
He was speaking at the launch of Safe Motherhood and Child Survival Campaign in the municipality at Asikesu Central near Koforidua on Thursday.
The campaign, which is aimed at helping to reduce maternal deaths and promoting child survival in the municipality, was organized by the Ghana Health Service in collaboration with the National Commission on Civic Education (NCCE).
Mr Boateng said it was possible for a society to have a zero maternal death and zero under-five years’ deaths but explained that such conditions could be achieved under absolute commitment from all members of the community and institutions in the society.
He said the safety of pregnant women and under-five years was not the responsibility of only pregnant women and the child but the collective responsibility of the immediate family and the community.
Mr Boateng appealed to the leadership of churches not to be concerned only with collection of offerings but also the health of their congregation because the healthier the congregation, the better they can work to raise their financial earnings and contribute better offerings.
Mrs Evelyn Owusu-Acheaw, Deputy Director of Nursing Services at the New Juaben Municipal Directorate of Health Services, said most of the maternal deaths could have been avoided if pregnant women had the support of their husbands during their pregnancy.
She conceded that at times unethical behaviour by some health personnel had made pregnant women to refuse to attend antenatal clinics but said there are many equally good health personnel who are always ready to welcome pregnant women to the clinics and give them attention.
Mrs Owusu-Acheaw appealed to pregnant women not to allow the bad behaviours of a few health staff to stop them from accessing health care during their pregnancy.
Source: GNA
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Eight projects win €2m Ghana grants for vaccine and drug research
10 minutes -
Ghana steps up Ebola surveillance amid rising cases in Africa
22 minutes -
Acting Rent Control Commissioner directs landlords, hostel operators to issue rent cards
23 minutes -
Nsawam Prison to host Teacher Licensure Examination for inmates for first time
23 minutes -
IES demands stronger safeguards amid temporary Akosombo power arrangement
28 minutes -
Four workers dead after being hit by train in Japan
43 minutes -
Fact-check: Did GoldBod make a loss in 2025? Here’s what the records show
58 minutes -
Rev. Adzraku Kevi calls for more women in leadership
1 hour -
Dagbon Kingdom suspends Damba Festival to honour late Overlord
1 hour -
Harry and Meghan’s UK security arrangements remain a ‘private matter’ – Andy Burnham
1 hour -
At least 15 killed in Kyiv as Ukraine grapples with air defence shortages
1 hour -
Existing banking model could draw a dagger through Ghana’s 24-Hour Economy
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: Heartbreak for Techiman SHS as Wesley High edge them by one point in prelims
1 hour -
IES demands release of July 29 blackout report after latest nationwide outage
2 hours -
Eastern TESCON backs Boakye Agyarko for NPP National Chairman
2 hours