Audio By Carbonatix
Russia has welcomed Donald Trump's new US National Security Strategy, calling it "largely consistent" with Moscow's vision.
The 33-page document, unveiled by the US administration last week, suggests Europe is facing "civilisational erasure" and does not cast Russia as a threat to the US.
Combatting foreign influence, ending mass migration, and rejecting the EU's perceived practice of "censorship" are mentioned as other priorities in the report.
Several EU officials and analysts had pushed back on the strategy, questioning its focus on freedom of expression and likening it to language used by the Kremlin.
"The adjustments we're seeing... are largely consistent with our vision," Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov said in an interview published by Russia's state news agency TASS on Sunday.
"We consider this a positive step," he said, adding that Moscow would continue to analyse the document before drawing strong conclusions.
The strategy adopts a softer language towards Russia, which EU officials worry could weaken its response to Moscow in ending the war.
In the document, the EU is blamed for blocking US efforts to end the conflict and says that the US must "re-establish strategic stability to Russia" which would "stabilise European economies".
It appears to endorse efforts to influence policy on the continent, noting that US policy should prioritise "resistance to Europe's current trajectory within European nations".
The new report also calls for the restoration of "Western identity", and claims that Europe will be "unrecognisable in 20 years or less" and its economic issues are "eclipsed by the real and more stark prospect of civilisational erasure".
"It is far from obvious whether certain European countries will have economies and militaries strong enough to remain reliable allies," the document states.
In stark contrast, the document celebrates the influence of "patriotic European parties" and says "America encourages its political allies in Europe to promote this revival of spirit".
As the EU engages in ongoing talks with the Trump administration to set out a peace deal in Ukraine, some officials emphasised their lasting relationship with the US, while raising "questions" over the document.
"The US will remain our most important ally in the [Nato] alliance. This alliance, however, is focused on addressing security policy issues," German Foreign Minister Wadephul said on Friday.
"I believe questions of freedom of expression or the organisation of our free societies do not belong [in the strategy], in any case at least when it comes to Germany," he added.
In a social media post addressed to his "American friends", Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk said that "Europe is your closest ally, not your problem" and noted their "common enemies".
"This is the only reasonable strategy of our common security. Unless something has changed."
Meanwhile, former Swedish Prime Minister Carl Bildt wrote that the document "places itself to the right of the extreme right".
The US has been growing closer to the far-right AfD party in Germany, which has been classified as extreme right by German intelligence.
Promoting an "America First" message, the strategy says the US intends to target alleged drug-trafficking boats in the Caribbean Sea and the eastern Pacific Ocean, considering possible military action in Venezuela.
The US also calls on an increased defence spending from Japan, South Korea, Australia and Taiwan.
Democrats in Congress warned that the document could shatter US foreign relations.
Representative Jason Crow of Colorado, who sits on House committees overseeing intelligence and the armed forces, called the strategy "catastrophic to America's standing in the world".
New York Representative Gregory Meeks said it "discards decades of value-based, US leadership.
Latest Stories
-
NSMQ 2026: Tears of relief as Labone SHS survive Notre Dame Sem. in thriller to secure one-eighth spot
10 minutes -
Onga Tomato Mix unveils Diana Hamilton as Brand Ambassador
17 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Winneba Secondary School holds off Fijai SHS to reach one-eighth stage
26 minutes -
KNUST assures staff, public over statute review process amid UTAG concerns
36 minutes -
CLOGSAG Executive Secretary Dr Isaac Bampoe Addo passes on
37 minutes -
Take post-flood disinfection seriously to prevent disease outbreaks – Environmental Health Officer backs Zoomlion
49 minutes -
Zoomlion launches fumigation exercise across 14 MMDAs in Western Region
56 minutes -
UTAG-KNUST votes to retain elections for Pro-Vice Chancellors and Deans
1 hour -
Newsfile to discuss nationwide blackouts, GoldBod controversy, galamsey and water quality
1 hour -
Adamus must settle GRA, MIIF and financial institutions liabilities under new turnaround roadmap
1 hour -
Big Chef Season Five returns with Gari Fotor Challenge this Sunday
2 hours -
Gov’t to form 6-member team to supervise Adamus mine turnaround
2 hours -
Wontumi is not Mandela, NPP must be realistic about chairmanship bid – Musa Danquah
2 hours -
Government gives Adamus Resources reprieve, orders 12-month turnaround plan
2 hours -
Road Ministry to report two people to EOCO for influencing property owners affected by road constructions
2 hours