Audio By Carbonatix
Nigeria's president has ordered the immediate release of a group of young people accused of treason after footage of some of them collapsing in court sparked outrage.
The 27 teenagers - among 76 suspects detained for months following their arrest in anti-government protests - are aged between 14 and 18.
Bola Tinubu directed officials to release them after four collapsed during their first court appearance on Friday, apparently due to malnourishment.
Viral videos of them writhing in pain before being taken for medical treatment sparked a renewed debate over their treatment by authorities in Nigeria, as well as the length of their detention.
The suspects had been in custody for nearly three months after participating in the #EndBadGovernance protests which swept the country in August over a deepening cost of living crisis.
The demonstrations turned violent in some places when protesters clashed with security forces.
Police say seven people died - though rights groups put the death toll at 23. Nearly 700 people were arrested.
Some of those in court in the capital, Abuja, on Friday were accused of flying Russian flags and planning to overthrow the Nigerian government.

In a statement on Monday, President Tinubu's spokesman Bayo Onanuga said that it was his wish that the release of the children did not prejudice the ongoing legal action.
Reuters reported, citing Information Minister Mohammed Idris, that the treason charges against the children had been dropped.
Mr Onanuga said the Nigerian humanitarian affairs ministry had been asked "to ensure the safe return of all the minors to their families while an investigation has been opened into the circumstances leading to their prolonged detention".
When the courtroom footage emerged, Nigerian rights organisation Enough is Enough said they had been subjected to "institutional child abuse".
Amnesty International described the children's detention was "one of the deadliest attempts to suppress freedom of assembly" so far.
Latest Stories
-
X1 Energy Drink-backed DOL Super Cup ends with Ebusua Dwarfs crowned champions
1 minute -
Disney and ABC sue Trump’s media regulator to stop early licence renewal
4 minutes -
Luv FM High School Debate: Prempeh dethroned as CHRISSEC and KUHIS ignite quarter-final path
6 minutes -
British couple on honeymoon killed in helicopter crash on Greek island
11 minutes -
George Opare Addo to lead National Youth Forum in Accra
12 minutes -
ECG invested GH¢710,965 in infrastructure replacement across Greater Accra – PURC
20 minutes -
Cyber Security Authority, EY resolve satisfactorily matters relating to licence fees
40 minutes -
Beyond the ribbon: Why the sport of dog showing matters for every pet owner
1 hour -
Illegal mining drives Ghanaian children from classrooms into hazardous labour
1 hour -
NACOC committed to strengthening border security – DG
1 hour -
DTI students showcase innovative solutions at 2026 Capstone Projects Exhibition
2 hours -
‘We let the athletes down’ – NSA boss on Ghana’s Commonwealth Games campaign
2 hours -
Jinapor prioritises exploration, investment to reverse Ghana’s oil production decline
2 hours -
Eric Tinkler highlights deep-rooted challenges at Asante Kotoko, admits club is aware
2 hours -
Next 15 years of Petroleum Commission must focus on transformation – John Jinapor
2 hours