One of the topics trending on Twitter on Tuesday is SMan, which stands for Stingy Men Association of Nigeria, as more and more Nigerian celebrities share mock-ups of membership cards for the group.
A tweet by music producer Don Jazzy of his own card has been retweeted more than 11,000 times.
Registration complete pic.twitter.com/IU4QPBlrms— ITS DON JAZZY AGAIN (@DONJAZZY) January 11, 2021
London based Afrobeats star Mr Eazi also shared his membership card on Twitter:
Let me see what I can do 🙏🏿 pic.twitter.com/lbQzmodnqz— Uncle Njobvu (@mreazi) January 11, 2021
An “official” SMan twitter account emerged on Monday:
Tweeters have been joking about creating an anthem, a headquarters and an oath.
It is unclear to us how the trend started in Nigeria, but the idea has already been spreading around Africa.
Back in December, a supplement to Uganda’s Daily Monitor published an article outlining a proposed constitution for the Ugandan arm of the group.
In that article, Ian Ortega wrote: “This constitution drafted in the year of the Pandemic will for generations to come define the meaning of austerity.”
Some parts of the his “constitution” hit out at girlfriends asking their boyfriends for money.
“Any daughter of Eve that asks for money shall be treated as an illegal immigrant and be labelled; ‘not wife material,’” he wrote.
He went on say that “a member must feel no shame whatsoever in rejecting any monetary request presented to him.”
This includes requests for money for transport or airtime.
- 30 communities in Central and Greater Accra Regions to experience ‘dumsor’
- ‘I dread pain and abuse’ – A female head porter opens up on her daily trauma
- #FixTheCountry: Mere speeches won’t cut it, people want something substantive – Protestors tell Finance Minister
- Government will address issues raised by #FixTheCountry conveners – Ofori-Atta
- Old students of Wesley Girls refute claims of banning a specific religious group from fasting
- Francis-Xavier Sosu: CNN interview – Akufo-Addo lied or has lost touch with reality in Ghana
- Debt increase of 137% between 2016 and 2020 lower than previous administrations – Ofori-Atta
- ‘Government is either feigning incompetence on the point of how we fix structures or is pretending to fix them’ – Barker-Vormawor
- #FixTheCountry: If all we need is patience, then government is misreading our demand – Barker-Vormawor
- CID probes 53 schools over alleged corruption in school feeding programme; GES directs co-operation
Six robbers attack gold merchant opposite police station at Nkaseim
HIV/AIDs cases on the rise in Ada – Health Director
Accused persons urged to read and understand charges against them
Posthumous DMX album, ‘Exodus’, set for May 28 release
I’m not a suspect in my fiancée’s death investigation — AKA
One dead as 2 brothers clash over plantain
Some religious leaders quote scriptures to support child marriage – NGO reveals
Children below five must go for routine check-ups
ECOWAS must build synergies to achieve food security – Bawumia
Ecole Ronsard holds panel discussion to celebrate Mother’s Day
GCB Bank records significant growth in first quarter
Stephen Appiah excludes Asamoah Gyan from his list of best Ghanaian players
Traders helpless as fire razes part of Kantamanto timber market
Adina shares touching tale of how her mother saved her life
Isaac Piyouri: Africa’s Cashew industry – Retrospection 2020 and Projecting into 2021 Season