Novak Djokovic claimed his sixth Australian Open and an 11th Grand Slam title with his fourth victory over Andy Murray in the final at Melbourne Park.
Murray was no match for the world No. 1, who brushed him aside in a convincing 6-1 7-5 7-6(3) triumph on Rod Laver Arena.
The Scot – who lost to Djokovic in the final in 2011, 2013 and 2015, as well as Roger Federer in 2010 – continued his painful losing streak at Australian Open finals thanks to an error-strewn performance in which he never really looked capable of knocking Djokovic out of his stride for any significant period of time.
The Serb moves onto 11 Grand Slam titles as his almost unprecedented era of domination continues, with his fourth win in the past five Grand Slams. After vanquishing Murray again, he bent down to kiss the court.
"I feel like I've been here before," said Murray. "I'd like to congratulate Novak for six Australian Opens, it's an incredible feat; also for what he has done in the past year. Incredible consistency. I just want to say well done to him and his team – great job."
Murray is soon to be a father with his wife Kim expecting their first child, and the world number two had a touching message for his partner as he prepares to fly back and be by her side.
" To my wife Kim, who I’m sure is going to be watching back home. You have been a legend the last two weeks. Thanks for all of your support – I’ll be on the next flight home."
Djokovic paid tribute to Murray after extending his recent record over the Brit to 11 wins from 12 meetings.
“I need to pay the respect to Andy and his team for another tournament,” he said. “You are a great champion and a great friend. I’m sure in the future you are going to have more opportunities to fight for this trophy. I would also like to wish you and Kim a healthy delivery of your baby and I hope you will experience a feeling like no other before, because that’s what happened to me and my wife.”
Follow Joy Sports on Twitter: @JoyFMSports. Our hashtag is #JoySports
- Takoradi woman faked pregnancy and kidnap – Regional Minister
- Kohwe was not my brother – George Laing clarifies
- ‘Vaccines as a tool for immigration control is retrogressive’ – Akufo-Addo
- Provisional census results peg Ghana’s population at 30.8m – Statistical Service
- Takoradi missing woman: Neighbours, husband dispute Regional Minister’s claim she faked pregnancy, kidnap
- Suspected thief made to weed acres of land as punishment at Bibiani
- There are still more women in Ghana than men – 2021 PHC by GSS
- 10 dogs maul 2-year-old pupil to death in school compound
- Peugeot Landtrek Double Cabin 4×4 vehicle launched; assembling of Peugeot vehicles in Ghana to begin in March 2022
- Guinea coup: Military junta willing to see to Condé’s release – Akufo-Addo
Man 47, allegedly defiles 10-year-old girl
Two drivers feared dead, 5 injured in multiple-vehicle accident at Gomoa
Biden pledges 500m more Covid-19 vaccine doses to developing world
Fuse ODG tops Ghanaian songs with over 10M+ streams on Spotify
My new single ‘Awurade Ye’ is everyone’s prayer song – Diana Hamilton
Falling standard of education: MP promises goodies for best performing BECE candidates in 2021
Carabao Cup fourth-round draw: Manchester City face West Ham, Arsenal host Leeds
West Ham knock out Man Utd to reach fourth round of EFL Cup
Chelsea beat Villa in EFL Cup shootout
Atiwa East NPP raises concerns over ongoing membership registration drive
Ghana’s Covid-19 death toll now 1,130
2 arrested for WASSCE fraud
Social media cause of the decline in Ghanaian movies – Mercy Asiedu
Ablakwa’s position on Akufo-Addo’s flight borne out of political mischief – Afenyo-Markin
Playback: PM Express – A conversation with Agric Minister