The democratic credentials of the ruling New Patriotic Party (NPP) have come under attack following damning accusations by the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC).
The NDC has been accused of having a violent human right record following its relationship with the erstwhile Provisional National Defence Council (PNDC)government, the military junta that took over the reigns of power from the Dr. Hilla Limann in 1981.
But the NDC says the NPP was rather born from violence.
Running journalists through the corridors of Ghana’s political history and the NPP’s place in it, Fiifi Kwetey head of what has become known as the Committee for Setting the Records Straight, said the National Liberation Movement (NLM) which he claimed was an offshoot of the NPP, perpetrated a system of violence and division in the country prior to independence.
“As NLM, they maimed and killed innocent Ghanaians all in an attempt to oppose the unitary system of government adopted by the Nkrumah regime,” he stated.
He said the NLM, not satisfied with the atrocities they unleashed on Ghanaians, transformed into the United Party (UP) which was even more vicious.
“They killed and maimed people and turned around to call themselves a united party. What an irony,” he noted.
According to him the UP did not only oppose the fight for independence but masterminded a series of bombings in the country which killed dozens of people including children.
“Dr. K.A. Busia was part of a delegation sent to Britain to appeal to the British government not to grant our independence,” he alleged.
The father of Jake Obetsebi Lamptey was not spared the accusations.
According to Fiifi Kwetey, Emmanuel Odarkwei Obetsebi Lamptey facilitated a bombing spree that confined Ghana into a state of terror.
“The father of Jake Obetsebi Lamptey was a principal culprit. He hired a cottage at the La Bawaleshie where he together with his NPP family distributed bombs which were later detonated,” he charged.
The Committee for Setting the Record Straight had earlier on chided the NPP government of public deceit over the execution of the National Health Insurance Scheme as well as the School Feeding Project.
Listen to excerpts of the allegations
Author: Nathan Gadugah
- Many still unable to buy ECG credit
- Photos: Actor ‘Waakye’, laid to rest
- Indonesia: At least 174 dead in football stadium crush
- ECG system challenges an internal attack, initiate investigations – Sam George to government
- Adwoa Smart cries at Prince Yawson’s funeral
- “We’re building a thriving tourism economy in Ghana” – Akufo-Addo
- Chiefs, DCEs, others to blame for worsening galamsey situation – Lands Minister
- Marrying an older man meant I became a widow at 34
- Manchester City beat Manchester United in nine goal thriller
- SSNIT, other companies shut down Bawku office over security concerns
- Veteran actor Ekow Blankson has passed on
- 3 members enough for Black Stars Management Committee – Fred Pappoe
- Ibrahim Mahama wins EMY Africa Man of The Year
- Performance wrap of Ghanaian players abroad over the weekend
- Towards sustainable development of Africa’s upstream market…A Tullow Oil perspective
- Peg dollar for duty payments at least quarterly – GUTA to government
- National Security arrests Imam for having links to jihadist group
- Hearts of Oak appoints David Ocloo as assistant coach
- Be circumspect in your coverage of conflict – NMC tells radio stations in Bawku
- Thomas Partey scores stunning goal in Arsenal win over Tottenham
- CalBank commissions new ICT Lab for SDA Schools in Koforidua
- Sustainability requirements shouldn’t be a ruse to block our cocoa and coffee – Oppong Nkrumah
- CAF re-opens bids for AFCON 2025
- GCR affirms Ecobank Ghana rating A+, outlook stable
- Bright Simons: GNPC fails in bogus defense of Genser sweetheart deal