Audio By Carbonatix
The Greater Accra Regional Coordinating Council (RCC) says it expects more than 20,000 people to participate in the ‘Operation Clean Your Frontage’ campaign which kicks off across the Greater Accra Region today.
The initiative, has seen more than 150 people issued with summons for failing to clean their immediate surroundings since October 2021 when it was first launched.
A number of assemblies within the region have piloted the programme, one which has been pegged as the biggest campaign so far towards President Akufo-Addo’s promise to make Accra the cleanest city in Africa.
Regional Minister, Henry Quartey, says the RCC is all set to roll out the initiative, saying the taskforce to implement the policy will be put under strict scrutiny to ensure a zero tolerance for corruption.
“We are very much ready; that is why we are starting on February 1, that is why we are going to pour more men and women on the streets, and that is why we are going to urge people to continue to observe cleanliness in their frontage and their immediate environments.”
“We’re starting the process of implementation, which includes persons that we have sent to training to pass out to come out now to assist in ensuring that there is strict adherence and compliance,” he said.
All assemblies are expected to construct at least a waste transfer station as part of the policy.
Hundreds of city officers were also supposed to have been trained ahead of the full implementation of the policy.
Involvement of National Service Persons in campaign
In a statement dated January 31, the Regional Coordinating Council confirmed that about 15,000 National Service Personnel have been received for today’s sensitisation drive.
“For the avoidance of doubt, I wish to state that the involvement of the National Service Personnel in this exercise is not for clean-up as some have unfortunately misconstrued, but to assist with the sensitisation of the general public on the roll out of the bye-law,” the Minister explained.
Over 2,000 men and women from the security services, and about 2,000 YEA and Zoomlion workers will join the 13 Metropolitan and Municipal assemblies for the commencement of the programme.
Latest Stories
-
Trade Ministry prepares for US Chamber of Commerce Trade Mission
2 minutes -
We have all seen it – Kwakye Ofosu confirms early race to replace Mahama
13 minutes -
One dead, several injured in head-on crash on Wenchi-Subinso road
26 minutes -
FABAG backs GSA fight against ‘unjustified’ port charges
42 minutes -
Manasseh Azure Awuni: President Mahama, I feel ashamed
52 minutes -
GNFS responds to diesel tanker accident at Asuboi, no casualties recorded
59 minutes -
Charles Amissah’s family sues 3 hospitals, doctors and AG, seeks GH¢20m compensation
1 hour -
Ghana signs MOU with ‘Google for Education’ to strengthen digital literacy
1 hour -
Ghana’s economic activity strengthens, but business confidence eases to 12.6% – BoG
1 hour -
Galamsey: Ahafo Security Council disbands illegal mining site, seizes five excavators
1 hour -
GSA and German partners distribute calibrated scales to traders in Techiman
1 hour -
National Peace Council urges calm over rising political tensions
1 hour -
Ghana reaffirms commitment to peaceful cross-border governance and integration
1 hour -
‘I don’t see any faction amongst us’ – Bawumia urges unity in NPP
1 hour -
Mobile Money transactions hit GH¢493.2bn in April 2026 – BoG
2 hours