A high-powered government delegation will visit China later this week to convince authorities there to accept Ghana’s proposal for debt cancellation with the Paris club.
It is part of the government’s restructuring of its external debts as Ghana hopes to restructure $5.7 billion with China holding a third of it, amounting to $1.7 billion.
Finance Minister, Ken Ofori-Atta who is leading the delegation told Svenja Schulze, a German Minister that China has committed to a bilateral negotiation.
In view of that, he is hopeful a deal can be reached to enable Ghana to present her case before the International Monetary Fund (IMF) board.
Guests for Wednesday night’s discussion on Ghana’s next big debt hurdle to assessing the way forward are; Senior Credit Research Analyst Redd Intelligence, Mark Bohlund, Director of Centre for Asian Studies, Dr Llyoyd George Adu Amoah and Economist, Prof. Godfred Bokpin.
Join in the discussion:
- Otumfuo destools chief of Asante’s famous Antoa town
- 16 feared dead, over 40 injured in Gomoa Okyereko accident on Accra-Cape Coast highway
- Supreme Court ‘cautions and discharges’ NDC’s Kpessa Whyte after convicting him for contempt
- Ghana branded ambulance found in Dubai in viral video not for sale – National Ambulance Service
- Renowned Economist Dr. Joe Abbey is dead
- Pressure mounts on cedi; loses 9% in value to dollar last week
- Tinubu removes controversial Fuel subsidy in Nigeria
- Parliament writes to EC, declares Assin North seat vacant
- We’re sorry for obnoxious statements about Christianity in history textbook – Ghana Authors & Publishers
- AFCON 2023Q: Nuamah included, Sowah dropped as Hughton names Ghana squad to face Madagascar
- 4,000 Amansie West residents now on NHIS
- ‘I’m working hard to get back’ – Tariq Lamptey on latest Black Stars absence
- JoyNews premieres ‘Ghana Potholes Exhibition’
- Keta Port will be your legacy if constructed – KIPC CEO to Akufo-Addo
- Resign and concentrate on your health; Ahanta West needs development – NDC tells Kojo Kum
- Tariq Lamptey Foundation donates football kits and equipment to two schools in Asamankese
- OccupyGhana shocked at government’s new position on Public Officers Act after ignoring its calls
- Beyoncé celebrates Blue Ivy after she takes stage at Renaissance world tour
- National Cathedral: Only $22.07m out of $58.14m has gone into actual construction – Ablakwa
- Agorkedzi: Another tidal waves destruction leaves one dead, many homeless
- Immediately transfer shares held by JOHL to GNPC – Minority to government
- 2023 U23 AFCON: Kamaldeen Sulemana to be called up to Black Meteors squad for tournament
- Family of late Akwaboah Snr. holds one-week memorial
- POGA 1997 year group celebrates 25th anniversary
- Ghana International School poised to make an impact in Ghana and beyond – Principal discloses