Audio By Carbonatix
President Nana Akufo-Addo's avowed fight against corruption has been dented by his appointment of a man previously accused of corruption as a board chair
“It is disappointing”, an anti-corruption campaigner, Vitus Azeem, weighed in on the appointment of Kwame Owusu as Board chair of the Ghana Revenue Authority.
Kwame Owusu, who was Director-General of the Ghana Maritime Authority in 2017 organised an end-of-year dinner for staff at a cost of ¢135,123.
He explained the Authority budgeted for 500 people despite a staff strength of 200 to allow for stakeholders, wives, girlfriends and dependants.
He also organised a lunch for eight people at ¢10,000. Both events were organised at a hotel which he owns, raising conflict of interest concerns.
He also renovated his two-bedroom official residence and expanded it into a four-bedroom house fitted with 11 air-conditioners all at the cost of ¢1million.

These expenditures deemed profligate attracted public bashing and later a Transport ministry promise to probe the president’s appointee.
There is also corruption investigations ongoing at the Commission for Human Rights and Administrative Justice (CHRAJ).
Vitus Azeem said on the Joy FM Super Morning Show Monday, the second coming of Kwabena Owusu now as GRA board chair shows the President does not value the investigations.
“It means the original investigation has been truncated… and that is the sad part of it,” he said.
Vitus Azzem who is a former Executive Secretary of the Ghana Integrity Initiative said he knows the President ignored the advice of the Council of State opposing the appointment of Kwame Owusu.

Photo: Vitus Azeem
Azem said with the public nature of the controversy, it is more likely the members of the Council of State would have advised the president against the appointment.
He said he knows the President ignored the advice of the Council of State.
The anti-corruption campaigner said just as the President welcomed the decision of parliament to shelve a controversial construction of a new chamber, he must also withdraw the appointment of Kwame Owusu.
“If the president is a listening president, he should be willing to withdraw or suspend [the appointment],” he advised.
Latest Stories
-
Wontumi Out, COKA In: How NPP’s new Ashanti chairman differs from his predecessor
2 hours -
With unity, we will win 2028 election – Bawumia
2 hours -
‘The restoration begins’ – Okoe Boye pledges to rebuild NPP in Greater Accra
2 hours -
Ghana, Netherlands deepen cooperation to tackle illicit drug trade
2 hours -
One dead, eight injured in head-on crash on Kasoa–Winneba Road
2 hours -
Cedi stages strong recovery as dollar supply improves, demand eases
2 hours -
Duncan-Williams warns galamsey could endanger Ghana’s future generations
2 hours -
Fire ravages wooden structures at Tantra Hill’s Golden Door area
2 hours -
Petrol prices to drop today with diesel up in mixed pump price review
2 hours -
Okoe Boye will help NPP win more seats in Greater Accra – Bawumia
2 hours -
I am open to work with everyone to win 2028 — Bawumia
2 hours -
Peace, security practitioners tasked to deepen stakeholder collaboration
2 hours -
Public pay system must balance fair wages with fiscal sustainability – Government
2 hours -
Niharika Handa makes history as King Faisal’s first female Board Chair
2 hours -
Gov’t disburses GH¢23.1bn to clear road contractors’ arrears – Roads Minister
3 hours