The Kaneshie District Court has adjourned the case involving the murder of the University of Ghana’s Law lecturer, Professor Yaw Benneh to December 8, 2020.

This follows a revelation by the prosecutor in the trial that Opambour Agya Badu Nkansah, the second suspect in the case, is still unwell.

At the hearing in Accra, suspect Nkansah was absent in court, making it the fourth time he had absented himself from court due to medical reasons.

The last time Mr Nkansah appeared in court was on September 30, 2020.

On Wednesday, October 14, 2020, when the case was called at the Kaneshie District Court, the prosecutor, Inspector Ebenezer Teye-Okuffo, said Mr Nkansah was indisposed and was receiving treatment at the Police Hospital in Accra.

His absence on November 18, 2020, moved the judge, Ms. Ama Adomako Kwakye to make the adjournment call.

The prosecutor, told the Court that the second accused person would receive special treatment at Korle-Bu on November 25.

Meanwhile, the lead suspect in the case James Nana Womba, died at the Police Hospital in Accra on Saturday, October 17, 2020.

Facts of the case

The facts as narrated by Inspector Teye-Okuffo are that Akosua Benneh, the elder sister of the deceased, is the complainant while Womba is a domestic staff of the late Prof Benneh at Adjiriganor, near East Legon, Accra.

Prosecution said on September 13, this year, the body of the 66-year-old professor was found in a pool of blood in a supine position with his hand and legs tied.

It said the deceased had been pulled from his veranda to his bedroom and had multiple body cuts with a piece of rug in his mouth, while his body was in a state of decomposition.

Prosecution said the body of the Professor had since been deposited at the Police Hospital Morgue in Accra.

He said on September 13, this year, investigations led to the arrest of Womba, who confessed to the crime and mentioned Badu and others as his accomplices.

On September 21, this year, a post mortem conducted by one Dr Owusu Afriyie, a Pathologist at the Police Hospital, revealed the cause of death to include strangulation and suspected homicide.

Police intelligence led to the arrest of Badu at Ashiaman while efforts are underway to apprehend other accomplices.