Unlike the West, Russia views the happenings in Ukraine as a crisis rather than an invasion or war.
Ties between Moscow and Washington have disintegrated since Putin sent troops to Ukraine last year.
Putin spoke a week after Moscow detained a US reporter and charged him with espionage, sparking outrage.
“Relations between Russia and the United States, from which global security and stability directly depend, are going through a deep crisis,” Putin told the new US envoy as he swore in 17 ambassadors.
He said US foreign policy “in the end led to the current Ukrainian crisis”.
The longtime Russian leader has accused Washington of having orchestrated a revolution in Kyiv in 2014 after which he had no choice but to intervene.
Tracy is a Russian-speaking career diplomat who has worked in the former Soviet republics of Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and Turkmenistan.
She becomes ambassador during the worst crisis in years between the US and Russia.
Last week, Russian authorities arrested US journalist Evan Gershkovich on claims of “spying”, accusations dismissed by Washington as “ridiculous”.
Putin also told the new EU envoy to Moscow, Roland Galharague, that the bloc instigated a “geopolitical confrontation” with Moscow.
Russia has been hit with a barrage of EU and US sanctions since Putin launched his Ukraine offensive in February last year.
- Mohammed Kudus scores to inspire West Ham to comeback win over Backa Topola
- #OccupyJulorBiHouse: Derogatory captioning of Presidency by organisers unacceptable – Richard Ahiagbah
- 45 Ghanaian start-ups under AfriConEU project exposed to African market opportunities
- Official statement announcing Dr Sam Ankrah’s candidacy for President
- South Africa: Ninety schoolchildren given ‘cannabis muffins’
- DDEP: Ghanaians affected by “Technical Haircut” – Dr. Adu Anane Antwi
- Losing our father was the price we paid for Ghana’s independence – Samia Nkrumah
- Ghana needs at least a decade to recover from DDEP – Agnes Abankwa
- #OccupyJulorBiHouse: Where is IGP Dampare in all of this? – Ghanaians quiz
- #OccupyJulorBiHouse: Celebrities react, advocate for release of arrested protestors
- Mohbad’s body exhumed for autopsy — Police
- #OccupyJulorBiHouse: Bridget Otoo, other reporters assaulted
- Use of brute force on protesters regrettable – NDC
- #OccupyJulorBiHouse: 49 arrested for unlawful assembly – Police
- Angus Cloud’s cause of death revealed nearly 2 months after ‘Euphoria’ star dies at 25