Five-time champion Roger Federer is out of the US Open after Bulgaria’s Grigor Dimitrov won a late-night thriller to finally beat the Swiss great.
Federer, 38, had won all seven of their previous meetings but Dimitrov fought back for a memorable 3-6 6-4 3-6 6-4 6-2 win in New York.
Federer was hampered by injury in the latter stages, allowing unseeded Dimitrov to run away with victory.
Dimitrov, 28, will play Russian fifth seed Daniil Medvedev in the last four.
Serena Williams beats Wang Qiang to reach semi-finals
Serena Williams underlined her tag as the favourite for the US Open with a brutal quarter-final win over China’s Wang Qiang in just 44 minutes.
The 37-year-old American broke serve five times and hit 25 winners as she eased to a 6-1 6-0 win over the 18th seed on Arthur Ashe Stadium
Williams, seeded eighth, is chasing a record-equalling 24th Grand Slam title.
She will face Ukraine’s fifth seed Elina Svitolina, who beat Britain’s Johanna Konta, in the semi-finals.
“When I play someone who is playing well I have to step up or go home and I’m not ready to go,” said Williams, who earned her 100th singles win at the US Open.
“I knew I needed to come out tonight and play well. I’m feeling good, had a really tough year and I’m still here.
“Physically I’m feeling great and more importantly I’m having fun every time I come out here.”
- Akufo-Addo reshuffles ministers
- Turkey earthquakes: Ghana star Christian Atsu found after 26 hours under rubble
- He said just the ‘tip’, but now I’m pregnant; the story of a university fresher
- Businessman Ibrahim Mahama to fund treatment, education of former NSMQ ‘Shark’
- GES, Education Ministry to release academic calendar for SHS
- Turkey earthquake: “Huge and miraculous” – Christian Atsu’s local manager reacts to his rescue
- Turkey earthquake: Ghanaian students recount horror
- Haruna Iddrisu did not sell out NDC to us – Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu
- Demand for dollars ease; BoG sold only $9.2m on spot market
- Stonebwoy shares pictures of red carpet moments at 2023 Grammys
- Akufo-Addo donates cash, food items towards funeral of late Yagbonwura
- 60% of doctors are in Accra and Kumasi – Health Ministry
- 9 arrested in Atewa Forest for illegal mining
- Pencils of Promise commissions 197th classroom block
- Newmont Ahafo North Mining Project: Chiefs, youth groups appeal to government to apply state laws, warns WACAM
- Reshuffle is to reinvigorate government – Majority Leader
- Majority Leader stops taking fuel allocation in response to Ghana’s economic woes
- Digital Cooperation Organisation makes case for collaboration at LEAP in Saudi Arabia
- Asante Akim Marathon winner to compete in world cross country competition
- DDEP: Government commends bondholders who have tendered their bonds
- DDEP: Government grants 3-day administrative window for bondholders to complete processes
- Merqury Quaye to headline first DJ concert in Ghana on March 5
- Playback: One-on-one with Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu
- ‘The Lord is your shepherd, you shall not want’ – Bagbin prays for Haruna Iddrisu and co
- Epixode hopes to be as big as Grammy winner Kabaka Pyramid ‘one day’