Selena Gomez has revealed a scar on her inner thigh, which was left following a kidney transplant three years ago.
The 28-year-old pop star received the kidney from her friend Francia Raisa after suffering complications from the autoimmune disease lupus.
It was later revealed that Gomez nearly died due to complications from the surgery.
View this post on Instagram
When I got my kidney transplant, I remember it being very difficult at first showing my scar. I didn’t want it to be in photos, so I wore things that would cover it up. Now, more than ever, I feel confident in who I am and what I went through…and I’m proud of that. T – Congratulations on what you’re doing for women, launching @lamariette whose message is just that…all bodies are beautiful.
She told fans she had previously been ashamed to let others see the scar, but now felt “proud” of her past and was ready to show it off.
The former Disney Channel star posted a photo on her official Instagram page, standing in front of an outside swimming pool in a baby blue swimming costume, with her hands above her head.
Gomez wrote: “When I got my kidney transplant, I remember it being very difficult at first showing my scar. I didn’t want it to be in photos, so I wore things that would cover it up.
“Now, more than ever, I feel confident in who I am and what I went through…and I’m proud of that.”
Fans were quick to comment on the symmetry between her scar and a tattoo on her left outer thigh, praising her for sharing the inspirational shot.
She signed off her post, which was in support of her friend Theresa Mingus’s fashion line, “all bodies are beautiful”.
Gomez revealed she was diagnosed with the autoimmune disease lupus in 2015, and said she had “been through chemotherapy” in an attempt to cure it.
With lupus, the immune system (the body’s defence system) turns against the body and produces too many antibodies – causing harm to organs and tissues, principally the kidneys and skin.
Organs are often damaged irreversibly, meaning many lupus sufferers have transplants.
Following her kidney transplant, Gomez posted pictures of her and Raisa in hospital beds holding hands, writing: “She gave me the ultimate gift and sacrifice by donating her kidney to me.
“I am incredibly blessed. I love you so much sis.”
She also posted photos of scars on her stomach following the surgery.
Earlier this year, speaking on Miley Cyrus’ Bright Minded Instagram series, Gomez revealed she had been diagnosed with bipolar disorder.
She said she had undergone treatment for anxiety and depression, adding that the bipolar diagnosis “doesn’t scare me.”
- Four charged for violating restrictions on public gathering at Christ Embassy ‘Pneumatica Night’
- NSMQ 2021: PRESEC beats Achimota, Chemu and Odorgonno SHS to be crowned Regional Champions
- Akufo-Addo accepts Kissi Agyebeng’s nomination as Special Prosecutor, seeks Parliamentary approval
- Police secures restraining order against #FixTheCountry protest on May 9
- Our job is to fix problems; we are fixing them – Bawumia
- Don’t depend on your children when you retire, it’s a “money mistake” – EDC boss
- Dominic Ayine questions independence of judiciary following Supreme Court’s adjudication of 2020 election petition
- Playback: NSMQ 2021: Legon PRESEC, Achimota and Odorgonno battle for Greater Accra Regional supremacy
- What is the big deal? – Bridgette Dzogbenuku on WGHS refusing to let students fast
- #FixTheCountry: We’ll use the courts to set aside order against May 9 protest – Economic Fighters League
Prince Philip’s cause of death has been confirmed
Child shoots three at school, police say
Ban on drumming and noise-making in Accra commences May 10, ends June 10
GNAT asked to provide affordable housing scheme for teachers
Domestic fires continues to dominate in Upper East Region
Bono Region vaccinates 11,574 people against Covid-19
Parts of Tetteh Quarshie-Madina-Adentan stretch to be temporarily closed
Tristan Thompson takes legal action over Instagram model’s claims
Remind the public we are not in normal times – Oppong Nkrumah tells media
Scrap Appearance Fee and Winning Bonus of Black Stars – Kofi Asafo Adjei
Passing wages and salary policy will curb businesses paying ‘slave salaries’ – Kofi Amoah
All activities in rosewood trade in Ghana are illegal – Inusah Fuseini
CIB begins campaign on new banking code of ethics
I’m working on banning unregistered motorbikes from operating as part of measures to fix Nhyiaeso – MP
We’ll pass on rising cost of fuel, new taxes to consumers – GUTA