Audio By Carbonatix
The East-Akyem District Chief Executive (DCE), Mr Emmanuel Victor Asihene, has called on service providers of the National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS) to improve upon their services to boost people's interest in the scheme.
He said the issue of equity in the distribution of doctors and other medical officers to hospitals must be looked at so that scheme members received the best medical care.
Mr Asihene, who was addressing the second Annual General Meeting (AGM) of the District Mutual Health Insurance Scheme at Kyebi on Thursday, said Kyebi Government Hospital has only two doctors whiles other hospitals of the same standard had more than six.
Mr Asihene expressed concern about instances where scheme members were turned away because there was no doctor on duty and said it did not augur well for the scheme and urged the Ghana Health Service to address the problem.
"It is highly unacceptable that a scheme member would not get access to medical care because of the absence of a doctor but that same person could get medical care elsewhere when not using an insurance card."
The Board Chairman of the scheme, Mr John Asare Nyankomah, said the scheme saved 295 million cedis through the vetting of claims submitted by the service providers.
He said 7.5 billion cedis had been paid to the service providers with the highest of 36 million cedis as the medical bill for a scheme member and urged the premium collectors to be honest in their dealings.
The District Director of Health Service, Mrs Eunice Abuaku, advised churches and other organizations to help in registering their vulnerable members.
She said the GHS was focusing on disease prevention to ensure that the scheme was not abused.
Source: GNA
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
FDA records GH¢70m surplus in 2025 despite laboratory equipment, illicit product concerns
3 minutes -
‘Are we regulating danger or birthdays?’ – IMANI questions 15-year used vehicle restriction, asks GSA
4 minutes -
Russia, Ghana discuss transport cooperation and logistics development
4 minutes -
Government clears $1.47bn legacy energy debt, saves $500m through fuel-switching — Jinapor
7 minutes -
Why October for Wontumi’s bail application when it could have been heard in August or September? — Frank Davies
14 minutes -
Gender Ministry, Sanneh Institute renew push to end witchcraft accusations in Ghana
15 minutes -
‘Sustainability must become a way of life’ – MTN’s Georgina Fiagbenu
22 minutes -
Sekondi fisherfolk trained in fire prevention and emergency response after June harbour fire
22 minutes -
Benjamin Asare to receive US$38,000 JAC Motors vehicle after Ghana’s 2026 World Cup campaign
32 minutes -
Why I spend my days raising mosquitoes
35 minutes -
The case for the aged talent: Why experience never retires
50 minutes -
Ghana’s new wealth window
56 minutes -
Thinking beyond risk key to building resilient institutions – Stanbic Bank executive
1 hour -
John Boadu leads NPP National Chairman race with 27% — Global InfoAnalytics
1 hour -
AMMREN calls for renewed investment in science, community action to fight mosquito-borne diseases
1 hour