Ghana football received another shocking news when one of the finest tactical brains passed on to. "Coachene" E.K Afranie died in a fatal accident en route to be transferred to the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital from Accra where he was being treated of mild stroke.
In the space of a year, C.K Gyamfi, Cecil Jones Attuquayefio, Fred Osam Duodu and now Afranie have passed on. Ironically, the then FA President of his finest moment in 2001, Ben Koufie also passed on in July 2016
Here are six highlights of Afraine's career as coach.
* Afraine qualified four different Ghanaian national teams to the World Cup – the Black Starlets in 1991, 1997, 2001 with the Black Satellites where he won silver, and the Black Queens in 1999.
* The key components of his 2001 silver winning squad at the U-20 World Cup moved on to help Ghana qualify for its first World Cup in 2006. Notable players include; Michael Essien, John Mensah, John Paintsil, Derek Boateng, Sulley Muntari, Addoquaye Pappoe and Razak Pimpong.
* He was assistant coach of the Black Stars team that won 1978 Africa Cup of Nations, serving as number two to Coach Osam Duodu, who also recently died.
* Coach Afranie led Ghana’s campaign at the 1984 AFCON. The team exited the competition in the first round.
* Afranie also coached Hearts of Oak and supervised the Phobians to lift their 12th Premier League title in the 1996/97 season but was sacked prior to the start of the 1997/98 season.
* The veteran coach handled Asante Kotoko, supervising one of the most disappointing result in the club’s history – 4-0 against Al Ahly in CAF Champions League in 2006.
* He guided Sporting Mirren to relegation in 2008/09 season before taking over the top job of then newly promoted New Edubiase United.
The Joy Sports team put together this tribute for the fallen hero. Watch here.
- Nana Agradaa re-arrested after being granted bail
- SSNIT OBS scandal: State sues Ernest Thompson, 4 others again
- Joe Ghartey files appeal against Sekondi High Court’s ruling
- Rastafarian Saga: Achimota, all schools under GES cannot be sued – Attorney-General
- Suspend prospecting activities in all forest reserves – Lands Minister directs
- Rastafarian case: Achimota School fails to respond to suit, case adjourned to April 30
- Abandon agenda 111 hospitals to resource NHIS – Abekah-Nkrumah tells government
- Akuapem Poloo regains freedom after meeting bail conditions
- I was the least expected candidate – John Kumah speaks on his deputy ministerial appointment
- I don’t know Hearts of Oak, Kotoko is the biggest club in Ghana – Fabio Gama
Chief Imam blesses Alan Kyerematen with Ramadan prayer
Begoro police removes lifeless body from stationary timber truck
Owners of brand new vehicles need not pay for road tow levy – Cecil Garbrah
Ghana to produce 1.2 million tonnes of rice in 2023 – Agric Minister
Over 4,000 cyber fraud cases currently under investigation
Idriss Déby: Chad funeral for president killed by rebels
Ghana exported US$21.7bn commodities between 2014 and 2019 – World Bank
NSS resident at Legon in critical condition after falling from 4th floor of building
Man hangs himself at in-law’s house after he caught wife cheating
Airtel may return to Ghana’s telecom market
One dead, 9 others hospitalised after alleged food poisoning at a funeral in Obuasi
Begoro Police removes lifeless body from stationary timber truck
Broadcasting law can help make Ghana’s media safe for all – Advocates for Christ Ghana
Malaria vaccine hailed as potential breakthrough
3 police officers in Seikwa interdicted for secretly burying man who died in custody