A former Deputy Chief of Staff has called out the President and his Chief of staff for what she believes is the unfair handling of benefits due former president John Mahama.
Dr Valerie Sawyerr is faulting President Akufo-Addo and Akosua Frema Osei-Opare for deliberately preventing the former President from accessing emoluments allocated to him as a statesman.
This comes barely a week after the 2020 NDC flagbearer revealed that he does not enjoy any financial benefits beyond what he was owed while in office.
According to John Mahama, the only remunerations he gets are from pensions drawn like every worker in Ghana.
Aside from that “I receive only my monthly pension, like President Kufuor or President Rawlings was receiving until he died. That is all I get.”
In a statement released on Tuesday, Dr Sawyerr insists “it is a real shame!”
The NDC member indicated that it will be incomplete to leave out Nana Akufo-Addo’s Chief of Staff, Frema Osei-Opare because “if she is competent, she will have a list in front of her of the emoluments of ex-presidents and their spouses.”
“She should know, off the cuff, what President John Mahama is entitled to and should be ticking the items off one after the other as soon as the constitutional commitments have been fulfilled. Unless of course, she is following orders from President Akufo Addo to violate the laws of the land,” she explained.
Valerie Sawyerr cited the Edu-Buandoh Emoluments Committee report which stipulated the entitlements for Article 71 office holders.
This, together with other existing mechanisms, leaves her bewildered as to how some NPP members arrived at the permutation that Mr Mahama had received about ¢14 million in perks and benefits.
“Do the calculations. How can a rational human being arrive at a figure of ¢14 million by any stretch of his or her warped imagination? Your minions must do some research work so that when they formulate Kweku Ananse stories they do so along credible lines.”
For the former President’s advisor, “the attempt to belittle him cannot be justified. But even in that, you have failed miserably. President John Mahama still stands head and shoulders above President Akufo Addo.”
“With the terrible mismanagement of the economy, the pathetic interventions of Vice President Bawumia, the incompetence and lack of cohesive productivity of the members of government, and the constant corruption scandals, it is clear that the people of Ghana have given up on your government and are passionately clamouring for the return of President John Mahama,” she added.
- T-bills, individual bond holders exempted from Domestic Debt Exchange – Ofori-Atta
- We’ll not accept Ofori-Atta’s debt restructuring – Minority
- Bright Simons: Ghana begins its dance with creditors
- Debt Exchange Programme is key requirement for IMF deal – Ofori-Atta
- Playback: Ofori-Atta launches Domestic Debt Exchange amid financial crisis
- Proposed debt exchange programme will bring some confidence into economy – Dr. Addison
- How individual mistakes cost Black Stars a round of 16 World Cup slot
- There was no approach from Ghana to play for Black Stars – Danny Welbeck
- Residents of Agbeve unhappy with dredging activities on Volta River by foreign vessel
- Increment in VAT is inappropriate at this time – Ghana Chamber of Commerce CEO
- Our aides are not our spokespersons – Visually impaired tells public
- ‘Gobɛ’ is not food for the poor; it’s expensive these days’ – Fameye
- Facial recognition metric app saved NSS GH₵112m – Executive Director
- SOS Children’s Villages holds STEM exhibition fair for schools in Juaben
- Take up farming seriously instead of leaving it to the aged – Paramount Chief urges youth
- Mandela Washington Fellows tackle Climate Change through Sustainable Agricultural Practices
- Rotary Club of Ho donates ICT lab to deprived Dodome Avexa Basic School
- 5th Colloquium of International Geoscience Programme underway at University of Ghana
- Journalists urged to change societal perception about persons with disabilities
- Labour unions kick against any ‘haircut’ on pension funds of workers
- Parliament does not have the guts to sack any Minister – ACEPA’s Rasheed Draman
- IHME Scientists advocate for research funding to combat bacterial pathogens deaths in Ghana
- Winner of Joy FM Family Pop Quiz Mini-Series jets off to Singapore
- Dr Nyaho Nyaho-Tamakloe: Whither Ghana’s Parliament
- Renowned conservationist worries over Shai Hills baboon killings by speeding drivers