Audio By Carbonatix
Sierra Leone has declared a national emergency over sexual and gender-based violence after recorded cases of rape and assault doubled over the last year.
President Julius Maada Bio announced the emergency on Thursday amid a public outcry over the issue, triggered by a series of high-profile attacks.
Mr Bio said attacks on minors - which account for a third of all cases - would be punished with a life sentence.
Activists say many assaults are not punished under current laws.
More than 8,500 cases were recorded last year - a rise of nearly 4,000 on the figure from the previous year - in a country of 7.5 million people.
The factors behind the spike are not yet clear.
What did the president say?
Mr Bio declared the emergency at State House in Freetown after hearing the testimony of an Ebola survivor who had repeatedly been raped.
"With immediate effect, sexual penetration of minors is punishable by life imprisonment," he said, visibly moved by the survivor's account.
He also announced the formation of a dedicated police division to investigate reports of sexual violence, as well as a special magistrates' court that would fast-track cases.

President Bio announced the measure after hearing the testimony of a rape survivor
The BBC's Umaru Fofana in Freetown says the declaration of an emergency will mean state resources are more readily diverted to tackling sexual violence.
He added that the move allows the president to bypass parliament, which would normally be required to approve changes to the law.
What are people saying in Sierra Leone?
Anger has been mounting over sexual violence against women following a series of high-profile cases, including that of a five-year-old girl left partially paralysed after an alleged assault by her uncle.
Activists say few cases are reported and successfully prosecuted. The recommended sentence for rape - of between five and 15 years' imprisonment - is often not imposed.
Last year, a 56-year-old man who raped a six-year-old girl was sentenced to a year in prison.
Fatmata Sorie, the president of an all-female lawyers group that works with victims of sexual violence, told the BBC that the president's declaration shines "a very bright light on the issue".
However, she cautioned that the data on sexual violence was incomplete as it had only been gathered from a handful of centres across the country.
"We want the numbers to come down, [and] we want a situation where the data is nationwide data, chiefdom-based data," she said.
Rape and other forms of sexual violence were widespread during Sierra Leone's civil war between 1991 and 2002.
Latest Stories
-
Photos: Ablakwa meets Ghanaian community in Pretoria
16 seconds -
Rising fuel costs pose risk to Ghana’s inflation outlook – Deloitte
8 minutes -
T-bills: Government records 5.9% undersubscription, but interest rates decline marginally
10 minutes -
Government will not tolerate shoddy road projects – Roads Minister
48 minutes -
25/26 GPL: Vision end campaign with win over Aduana
54 minutes -
GPL 2025/26: Young Apostles survive relegation with win over SamartexÂ
1 hour -
Gunmen allegedly kidnap teenager at Kabulya near Bimbilla, demand ransom
1 hour -
Fernandes breaks assist record as Brighton land Euro spot despite loss
1 hour -
Sunderland reach Europa League at Chelsea’s expense
1 hour -
Spurs beat Everton to secure Premier League survival
1 hour -
Xenophobia: Ghana to receive first batch of evacuees from South Africa on May 27
2 hours -
GPL 2025/26: Swedru All Blacks stun Kotoko in dramatic final-day comeback
2 hours -
Slump continues as cedi becomes worst-performing currency in sub-Saharan Africa in 2026
3 hours -
Petroleum Commission hails 7 Eleven Energy Services’ indigenous bolt and nut plant as sign of local content growth
3 hours -
Keta MP offers relief to Afiadenyigba SHS after fire outbreak
3 hours