South Africa has recorded 23 new cases of coronavirus, the highest recorded in a day since the country confirmed its first case.
The new cases include four children aged below five years.
The country now has 85 confirmed cases of coronavirus which is the highest in sub-Saharan Africa.
South Africa’s Health Minister Zweli Mkhize in a statement said eight of the new cases involved local transmissions, the first confirmation of internal transmissions after erroneously reporting a case on 12 March.
The minister said the results were released close to Tuesday midnight because of discussions on the local transmissions.
Mr Mkhize also confirmed that tests on the more than 100 South Africans repatriated from Wuhan in China – the epicentre of the coronavirus outbreak – turned out negative.
The group will however remain in quarantine at a hotel in Limpopo province.
The ministry tweeted a thread of the latest confirmed cases:
Social embed from twitter
South Africa now has 85 confirmed cases of COVID-19. This means there has been an increase of 23 from yesterday’s announcement – Minister of Health, #ZweliMkhize #COVID19SouthAfrica #CoronaVirusUpdate27203:06 – 18 Mar 2020Twitter Ads information and privacy481 people are talking about thisReportReport this social embed, make a complaint
South Africa confirmed its first case on 5 March, a man who arrived from Italy with his wife who later tested positive as well on 8 March.
The country has been reporting additional cases since then but none has seen a high number of cases as those reported on Tuesday night.
President Cyril Ramaphosa last week declared a national disaster and announced a ban on travel from the countries worst hit by the virus.
- Education Minister fingered in $1.2 million ‘phantom’ training scandal
- Another rainstorm to hit Accra, Cape Coast, and other towns tonight – GMet
- ‘Owoo family does not exist in Osu; it is a scam’ – Member of Osu stool
- Otto Addo names Ghana squad for Madagascar, CAR and four-nation tourney
- Remove structures obstructing free flow of water immediately – Akufo-Addo charges MMDAs
- I am not aware of any meeting with Privileges Committee – Adwoa Safo
- Some Christian leaders are not speaking against pervasive corruption because they have been bribed – Prof Martey
- Songs Akufo-Addo should have on his playlist if he truly cares
- More public officers are going to be caught in this web – Martin Kpebu on investigations into Sir John’s will
- ‘Is dumsor back or not?’ – Ghanaians argue on social media
Silence is golden – Adwoa Safo tells critics
US-based young Ghanaian entrepreneurs pioneer “Airbnb” rent module in Ghana, Africa
I will fail my ministry if I fail to be the best mum – Adwoa Safo
We’ve taken cautious approach to pilot digital currency – Governor
WAFU U17 Zone B: Ghana to host Nigeria in opening game
Akufo-Addo is well aware of my condition – Adwoa Safo
African leaders signal support for African Development Bank’s emergency food production facility
Make AfDB preferred multilateral financier of Africa’s development – Akufo-Addo
I’ve not given up on NPP, I’m still committed to the President – Adwoa Safo
Akufo-Addo is the only person who can sack me – Adwoa Safo
Exclusive: Adwoa Safo speaks on family, NPP, absence from Parliament
I will return when issues with family are resolved – Adwoa Safo
Low income earners tend to be at higher risk of developing stroke – Health expert
Lands Minister requests information on all transactions affecting Achimota Forest
I am not aware of any meeting with Privileges Committee – Adwoa Safo