Caleb Ekuban marked his debut with a goal as Ghana laboured to a 1-0 victory over Kenya on the final day of the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier.
The Trabzonspor striker's goal proved crucial as Black Stars finish the series as group winners, two points above the Harambee Stars, who had already qualified before the match.
Black Stars had a good opportunity to break the deadlock in the 24th minute but Partey swept his close-range shot across the face of goal, with the net wide open.
In the 36th minute, Ayew scored but the goal was chalked off as the Fenerbahce man was adjudged by the referee to have fouled the shot-stopper before putting the ball at the back of the net.
On the stroke of half-time, Agbenyenu hit a shot across the face of goal but Ayew failed to connect from three yards.
The second half was keenly contested, resulting in no clear-cut chances for either side until the 82nd minute when Ekuban scored.
The Italian-born striker hit a first-time left-footed shot from just inside the box, the effort proving too strong for goalkeeper Matasi as the Black Stars secured a hard-fought 1-0 win in Accra.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- AFCON 2019: The tournament of the underdog
- Man Utd reject Inter Milan's £54m Lukaku bid
- The #JoyAFCON Team of the Tournament
- Senegal 0-1 Algeria: Five things we learned
- Algeria win Africa Cup of Nations with fortuitous early goal
- Parliament: Sports Minister summoned to explain poor AFCON showing
- 'I'd swap Champions League medal for Afcon' - Mane
- BHOBU-POGA Health Walk slated for July 20
- Senegal v Algeria: kick-off time, team news, head to head, form and more
- Ghana to face South Africa in AFCON 2021 qualifying
- Amaju Pinnick dismissed as Caf vice-president
- Mikel Obi retires from international football
- A fifth “All-African Coaches” AFCON final
- Juventus sign De Ligt on five-year deal
- AFCON 2019: Ighalo hands Nigeria bronze