Audio By Carbonatix
Sunderland have won their appeal against Wes Brown's red card in the match against Manchester United.
Brown was dismissed by referee Roger East for what the official felt was a foul on United striker Radamel Falcao in the area, although it appeared on replays that John O'Shea had been the man to impede the Colombian.
Referees' body the Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL) released a statement after the match insisting it was not a case of mistaken identity and that East did in fact mean to send Brown off.
East believed he saw contact from O'Shea and Brown on Falcao and sent off the latter as, in his view, Brown's foul had been the crucial one, the statement said.
However, an independent regulatory commission convened by the FA cleared Brown of any wrongdoing and he is free from suspension.
A statement posted on the FA's official website read: "An Independent Regulatory Commission has today upheld a claim of wrongful dismissal in relation to Wes Brown.
"The Sunderland defender was dismissed in the game against Manchester United on Saturday 28 February 2015 for denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity.
"Therefore, his one-match suspension has been withdrawn with immediate effect."
-
Latest Stories
-
Youth Ministry says nearly 90,000 young people are employed under government programmes
1 hour -
Adaklu Mountain now a security zone – Volta Regional Minister
1 hour -
Volta Regional Minister assures PAC of stricter supervision of government projects
2 hours -
Can Parliament enforce its own laws?
2 hours -
ECG announces major transformer upgrade at Batsonaa – see the affected areas
2 hours -
Ghanaian released after 77 days in Burkinabe detention
2 hours -
Football Noise, Economic Silence
2 hours -
Replacing Haruna and Muntaka in Parliament was strategic for Election 2024 – Asiedu Nketia, Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu explain the plot
3 hours -
Security service recruitment medical results to be released next week – Interior Minister
3 hours -
Ghana’s tech prodigies set for Geneva after triumphant ‘Robotics for Good’ national qualifiers
3 hours -
World Bank document shows 27 countries seeking to ensure access to crisis funds
3 hours -
Mahama says Ghana’s IMF programme was close to derailment before he took over
3 hours -
Uganda confirms 3 new Ebola cases, bringing total to 5
3 hours -
Senegal president sacks PM Sonko, dissolves government after months of friction
3 hours -
Security recruitment medical results to be released next week – Interior Minister
3 hours