Audio By Carbonatix
The Member of Parliament for Sege Constituency, Christian Corleytey Otuteye has described the work of the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO) as discriminatory.
He also alleged that NADMO has failed to provide relief service to the people of Ada and its adjoining communities.
Speaking on Prime Morning on Wednesday, the MP stated that government, through NADMO ignored Ada West to continue the construction of the sea defense wall from Ada East district to Prampram.
Also, he claimed that as of Tuesday, NADMO had provided 10 bags of 30kg rice, 15 student mattresses, and three boxes of frytol cooking oil to the affected people of Anyamam.
“NADMO failed to respond to the emergency need of the people when they were recently hit by tidal waves. The relief items it has provided so far is nothing to write home about”, he stated.
According to NADMO, more than 3,000 persons have been displaced after tidal waves swept through their homes in the Ada East and West districts of the Greater Accra Region on Sunday.
Per reports received by NADMO, the disaster also destroyed more than 251 households in four communities, including Lolonya, Agblabanya and Anyamam.
The MP said NADMO needs to make emergency issues its priority and provide relief rather than focusing on other things that cannot be classified as emergencies.
He indicated that both NADMO and the government have failed the people living in the coastal belt because the sea defense project that started in 2016, has been abandoned.
“In 2016, Gov’t planned to build the sea defense wall from Ada East throughout the coastal belt. What priority it is to start the sea defense project in Prampram and skip Ada West?” he quizzed.
Latest Stories
-
Volta Regional Minister assures PAC of stricter supervision of government projects
12 minutes -
Can Parliament enforce its own laws?
44 minutes -
ECG announces major transformer upgrade at Batsonaa – see the affected areas
45 minutes -
Ghanaian released after 77 days in Burkinabe detention
53 minutes -
Football Noise, Economic Silence
54 minutes -
Replacing Haruna and Muntaka in Parliament was strategic for Election 2024 – Asiedu Nketia, Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu explain the plot
1 hour -
Security service recruitment medical results to be released next week – Interior Minister
1 hour -
Ghana’s tech prodigies set for Geneva after triumphant ‘Robotics for Good’ national qualifiers
1 hour -
World Bank document shows 27 countries seeking to ensure access to crisis funds
1 hour -
Mahama says Ghana’s IMF programme was close to derailment before he took over
1 hour -
Uganda confirms 3 new Ebola cases, bringing total to 5
1 hour -
Senegal president sacks PM Sonko, dissolves government after months of friction
2 hours -
Security recruitment medical results to be released next week – Interior Minister
2 hours -
Mahama rules out IMF ‘kenkey and waakye parties’, takes swipe at erstwhile Akufo-Addo gov’t
2 hours -
Mahama says Ghana’s economy still needs major reforms despite IMF progress
2 hours