Audio By Carbonatix
The first person to test positive for the novel coronavirus in the Bono Region is a Togolese national who entered the country illegally, the Regional Minister has revealed.
This forms part of the 372 new cases that brought the country's tally to 3,091 as announced by the Ghana Health Service on Thursday.

The new case detected in the Jaman North District makes Bono Region the 13th region to record a case.
Evelyn Ama Kumi-Richardson in a statement said the 27-year-old was "in the company of nine others through unapproved routes in the Jaman North district capital, Sampa.
"He was apprehended along with the others during the last week of April 2020, by personnel of the Ghana Immigration Service...He has since been placed in quarantine at Sampa," she said.
The Minister added that the nine others been handed over to Immigration Service and National Security officials for substantive action.

Thursday's briefing also indicated contact tracers have been dispatched across the region to "take samples from identified primary contacts of the quarantined persons."
Read the full statement from the Regional Minister
BRIEFING BY THE BONO REGIONAL MINISTER ON THE COVID-19 FIRST CASE IN THE BONO REGION
Since receiving an alert from the Director-General of the Ghana Health Service of the outbreak of the novel coronavirus pandemic, on January 23 2020, the Regional Coordinating Council (RCC) and the Regional Public Health Emergency Management Committee have jointly implemented a range of preventive measures in relating to pandemic preparedness and response – key among our activities has been inter-agency coordination, laboratory testing, case management and infection prevention, social mobilization and risk communication, and enhanced port surveillance.
The Bono Region recorded its first suspected case of Covid-19 on the 9th March 2020. We have nonetheless investigated 583 suspected cases, taken 202 samples and received the results of 128 samples, one of which tested positive for Covid-19. The outstanding samples yet to be received are 74.
The positive case under reference is that of a 27-year-old Togolese man who illegally entered the country in the company of 9 others through unapproved routes in the Jaman North district capital, Sampa. He was apprehended along with the others during the last week of April 2020, by personnel of the Ghana Immigration Service.
Test results received on 6th May 2020 confirmed that all but one of the 10 illegal immigrants was positive. He has since been placed in quarantine at Sampa. The remaining 9 illegal immigrants have meanwhile been handed over to Immigration and National Security officials for substantive action.
As at this afternoon [May 7,], contact tracing teams have been to the field to take samples from identified primary contacts of the quarantinee. We have stepped up surveillance in our 12 districts to enable us to gain a broader picture of the state of infection within the region and thereby respond appropriately.
We have also increased behaviour change communication (BCC) and continue to emphasize social distancing to prevent community spread.
I urge everyone in the Region to adhere fully to the hygiene protocols announced by the President and the Ghana Health Service. There should be no cause for fear or panic. Let us remain calm while observing the requisite social distancing protocols and the wearing of face-masks. I am hopeful that with these measures, we will successfully prevail against the virus, thank you.
Long live Bono Region; long live Ghana.
Evelyn Ama Kumi-Richardson
Regional Minister
Latest Stories
-
FIFA World Cup: Iran moves camp from USA to Mexico, amid ongoing conflict
31 minutes -
Tamale police arrest suspect with large quantities of drugs
1 hour -
BoG pushes for integrated African payment systems to boost trade — Dr Asiama
1 hour -
Two people shot in encounter with Secret Service near the White House
2 hours -
Red Cross volunteers die from suspected Ebola in DR Congo
2 hours -
US Secret Service investigates reports of shots near White House
2 hours -
ECG injects GH¢3m into power upgrades across 40 Accra communities
2 hours -
‘Owadiah’ makes history: William Opare becomes first Ghanaian to break 45 seconds in 400m
2 hours -
Scottish woman ‘was on a mission’ to find out who her Ghanaian husband was. Then she died
2 hours -
Four Ada SHS students arrested after viral cutlass threat video sparks alarm
2 hours -
Christopher Bonsu Baah win Staff Player of the Year award in debut season with Al Qadsiah
3 hours -
Laryea Kingston’s Uganda beat Ghana 8-7 on penalties to secure U-17 World Cup spot and extend Black Starlets’ absence to nine years
4 hours -
FIFA U17 World Cup playoffs: Uganda beat Black Starlets on penalties to qualify
4 hours -
GN Savings and Loans: Ndoum thanks Mahama after Court of Appeal victory
4 hours -
2026 U17 WWCQ: Goalfest in Accra as Black Maidens hit Liberia for six
4 hours