Audio By Carbonatix
Surgeons have removed a tumour from the mouth of a foetus, in what has been described as a "world first" procedure.
After a scan at 17 weeks, mother Tammy Gonzalez said she "could see a bubble" coming out of her baby's mouth.
Doctors said it was a very rare tumour called an oral teratoma and there was little chance her daughter would survive.
After the pioneering operation, baby Leyna was born five months later.
Doctors at the Jackson Memorial Hospital in Florida, said this type of tumour was so rare it had been seen only once in 20 years at the hospital.
'Saviours'
In the procedure, Mrs Gonzalez was put under a local anaesthetic as a needle was pushed through the protective amniotic sac around the foetus.
A laser was then used to cut the tumour from Leyna's lips. The operation lasted just over an hour.
Tammy told a press conference in Miami: "When they finally severed the whole thing off and I could see it floating down, it was like this huge weight had been lifted off me and I could finally see her face."
She described the surgeons as "saviours".
The doctors said: "To our knowledge, this is the first successful treatment of a foetal oral teratoma in utero."
Leyna Mykaella Gonzalez was born in October 2010 weighing 8lb 1oz. She is now a healthy 20-month-old child.
The only sign of her life-saving surgery is a tiny scar on her mouth.
The details have only just emerged after the operation was reported in the American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Microwaving is safe, but minimise aluminium foil use – Food Scientist advices
37 seconds -
Supreme Court dismisses Kojo Oppong Nkrumah’s application seeking to halt legal vacation trials
15 minutes -
Restaurant portions, surplus food worsening Ghana’s food waste problem — Food Scientist
26 minutes -
NPP extends 2026 National Officers Elections filing deadline to August 29
32 minutes -
NDC has not shown it can manage power sector effectively — Fiifi Boafo
37 minutes -
Ghana secured US$2.6bn FDIs in 2025 – GIPC Report
38 minutes -
GRIDCo restores power nationwide after August 20 blackout, says grid strengthening measures ongoing
50 minutes -
Journalism must prioritise public interest over attention — Kwesi Pratt
1 hour -
Ghana Mineworkers Union demand suspension of contract mining directive, threaten industrial action
2 hours -
ADB Ghana Medicals constructing and equipping new Cardiothoracic Centre at Komfo Anokye
2 hours -
AFREIKH Summer School challenges Africa to harness critical minerals
2 hours -
Government plans 2,000-acre pharmaceutical innovation park in Osudoku to boost local drug production
2 hours -
Partey undergoes medical ahead of Al Shabab move in Saudi Arabia
2 hours -
Today’s front pages: Friday, August 21, 2026
3 hours -
Power outages could drive up cost of digital services — NITA
3 hours