Audio By Carbonatix
Twitter's board reportedly met Elon Musk over the weekend to explore his $43bn (£33.6bn) takeover offer for the social media platform.
After the Tesla boss first revealed his bid, Twitter's management announced a so-called "poison pill" strategy to fend off a potential hostile buyout.
Mr Musk plans to finance his bid with the backing of US lender Morgan Stanley and other financial institutions.
A spokesperson for Twitter declined to comment on the reports.
Details of how Mr Musk intended to finance his offer, which were disclosed to US regulators on Thursday, made Twitter's 11-member board seriously consider a possible deal, according to Reuters, the New York Times and Bloomberg - citing anonymous sources.
Mr Musk, who owns a more than 9% stake in Twitter, has lined up a $46.5bn financing package for his bid, according to a regulatory filing.
The funding will come from a mixture of his own assets and the backing of Wall Street banking giant Morgan Stanley and other firms.
A number of Twitter shareholders reportedly contacted the company after Mr Musk announced the financing plan and urged it not to miss the opportunity for a potential deal.
Dan Ives, an analyst at investment firm Wedbush Securities, said many investors will view the discussions "as the beginning of the end for Twitter as a public company, with Musk likely now on a path to acquire the company unless a second bidder comes into the mix".
A hostile takeover attempt by Mr Musk, who is the world's richest person, would put "further pressure on the board with their backs against the wall in this Game of Thrones battle for Twitter," Mr Ives added.
Earlier this month, Mr Musk refused a seat on Twitter's board, which would have limited the shares he was allowed to own. He then made made an unsolicited offer for the company on 14 April.
The next day, Twitter's board announced a plan to protect itself against a potential hostile takeover by adopting what is known as a "limited-duration shareholder rights plan", also known as a "poison pill".
The move deters anyone from having more than a 15% stake in the company. It does this by allowing others to buy additional shares in the firm at a discount.
A takeover bid is considered to be hostile when a person or business tries to take over another company against the wishes of the target firm's management.
Latest Stories
-
Video: President Mahama delivers keynote address at 79th World Health Assembly
26 minutes -
Escaped tiger shot by German police after attacking man
28 minutes -
Ghana hosts GAYO-DYEC 2026 as youth innovators drive Africa’s green transition
31 minutes -
You can reverse much of the damage alcohol has done to your body, science says
33 minutes -
Ministry of Communications, Digital Technology and Innovations denies claims of fund misuse
36 minutes -
At least six Americans exposed to Ebola during DR Congo outbreak
37 minutes -
Ghana Maritime Authority celebrates women driving change in maritime industry
40 minutes -
Trump warns ‘clock is ticking’ for Iran as peace progress stalls
41 minutes -
Strike over high fuel prices paralyses transport in Kenya
48 minutes -
G7 finance ministers meet in Paris as Strait of Hormuz closure threatens global economy
51 minutes -
Ghana’s exit from IMF bailout programme shifts economic focus to long-term sovereign fiscal discipline
56 minutes -
Support fight against corruption—NCCE urges youth
60 minutes -
Ghana on track to exit Gavi Vaccine funding by 2030 — Mahama announces at World Health Assembly
1 hour -
“There’s no immunity from crime” — Lom-Nuku Ahlijah clarifies limits of MP immunity in Ghana
1 hour -
Women urged to take active role in political leadership
1 hour