Audio By Carbonatix
UEFA says it wants the 2022 World Cup final in Qatar to be held two days before Christmas because it would have less impact on its own international matches.
The European body's proposed date of December 23 has sparked uproar in Britain as it would threaten the traditional festive club programme.
A FIFA task force on Tuesday recommended that the 2022 tournament should be played in late November to late December to avoid the heat of the summer, but FIFA's executive committee will make a final decison on the dates on March 20.
UEFA's position has infuriated the Premier League - and it appears the governing body is pushing for December 23 to reduce disruption to its new Nations League competition.
A spokesman said: "Earlier [than December 23] would have more impact on European qualifiers."
December 18 remains a strong possibility, however - it is Qatar's national day and also falls on a Sunday, and would be early enough for the festive club programme to take place.
FIFA's general secretary Jerome Valcke has confirmed that the 2022 World Cup will be four days shorter as a "concession" to the league and clubs, 28 days instead of the usual 32, and that the African Nations Cup in 2023 will be moved to June 2023 from January.
He also said no apology was necessary to the clubs despite the disruption it will cause to domestic football across the globe. He also ruled out paying compensation.
Valcke told a news conference in Doha after a Qatar 2022 organising committee board meeting: "We are bringing all our people to enjoy the sporting and financial results of the World Cup so why should we apologise - I definitely don't feel I have to apologise for the decision made yesterday. There will be no compensation."
Valcke also appeared to confirm the deal to extend the USA TV rights deal with Fox to include the 2026 World Cup had been done to avert the threat of any legal action over its 2022 deal.
He said: "We have done what we had to do in order to protect FIFA and the organisation of the World Cup."
Latest Stories
-
Youth Ministry says nearly 90,000 young people are employed under government programmes
1 hour -
Adaklu Mountain now a security zone – Volta Regional Minister
1 hour -
Volta Regional Minister assures PAC of stricter supervision of government projects
2 hours -
Can Parliament enforce its own laws?
2 hours -
ECG announces major transformer upgrade at Batsonaa – see the affected areas
2 hours -
Ghanaian released after 77 days in Burkinabe detention
2 hours -
Football Noise, Economic Silence
2 hours -
Replacing Haruna and Muntaka in Parliament was strategic for Election 2024 – Asiedu Nketia, Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu explain the plot
2 hours -
Security service recruitment medical results to be released next week – Interior Minister
3 hours -
Ghana’s tech prodigies set for Geneva after triumphant ‘Robotics for Good’ national qualifiers
3 hours -
World Bank document shows 27 countries seeking to ensure access to crisis funds
3 hours -
Mahama says Ghana’s IMF programme was close to derailment before he took over
3 hours -
Uganda confirms 3 new Ebola cases, bringing total to 5
3 hours -
Senegal president sacks PM Sonko, dissolves government after months of friction
3 hours -
Security recruitment medical results to be released next week – Interior Minister
3 hours