Audio By Carbonatix
The CEO of Vodafone Ghana has debunked claims that the move to charge Communications Service Tax (CST) directly from customer’s account was a ploy to make government unpopular.
Patience Obo-Nai says telecommunications companies were acting in accordance with the law by implementing an act that demanded they charged the CST.
“What will be the interest of a multinational in making government unpopular?” she quizzed.
“We are law-abiding and what we did was to implement an Act which had been amended. We collected the tax upfront per our understanding of the law,” she told host of Joy FM’s Super Morning Show, Daniel Dadzie.
She was responding to the Communications Minister, Ursula Owusu Ekuful’s claim that the move was to make government unpopular.
The minister had said telcos are acting on the assertion that if government “won’t give them at least four weeks [before the imposition of the 3% increment in the CST takes effect,] they would do it [pass it on to consumers] in the most painful manner.”
Although Mrs Obo-Nai admitted that government was at the receiving end of some attack from the public after CST was implemented, she stressed it was not their intention.
Meanwhile, she has called on customers to choose personal dialogues with their service providers rather than lamenting publicly on social media.
She believes ranting on social media is likely to affect investor confidence.
“For the consumer who speaks even louder on social media than even call you directly, if you have any doubts, it will reinforce that you are taking something from them,” she observed.
“We will prefer that when issues like this arise, it will be helpful if we are not perceived as thieves robbing the consumer because it affects investor interest,” she said
According to her, going on social media to rant about problems is not the best approach to get their concerns resolved.
Telcos are expected to stop the upfront deductions of the 9% CST tax from November 26, 2019.
Latest Stories
-
7-month-old baby found dead in a drain at Obuasi Old Estate
24 minutes -
Tunisia coast guard recovers eight bodies of migrants whose boat sank
25 minutes -
One man diagnosed with prostate cancer in the UK ‘every eight minutes’
28 minutes -
After losing 2012 election, we couldn’t even afford prepaid credit – Obuobia Darko
32 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Kpando SHS brush aside Abor, Jukwa to storm One-Eighth stage with 32 point gap
2 hours -
Duncan Amoah: Gov’t should create conditions for 24-hour economy, not build markets
2 hours -
JoyNews-Republic Bank Habitat Fair finale turns homeownership dreams into real possibilities
3 hours -
Bamiri chief commissions KG block, guest house to boost education and revenue
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Yaa Asantewaa Girls’ going ‘beck’ to Tanoso after Bishop Herman deals them early exit
3 hours -
Data Protection Commission acquires two vehicles to strengthen data protection enforcement
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Holy Child School storms back from two-year NSMQ absence to book One-Eighth ticket
5 hours -
GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance
6 hours -
Gordon Asare-Bediako steps down from NPP Communications Director race, backs Dennis Aboagye
6 hours -
GES dismisses requirement for newly promoted teachers to submit documents for salary adjustments
6 hours -
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
7 hours