Virginia Governor Ralph Northam on Wednesday, March 24, signed a bill into law abolishing the death penalty in the state.
The signing comes after the Democratic-controlled legislature passed the measure late last month.
“It is the moral thing to do to end the death penalty in the Commonwealth of Virginia,” said Northam, according to NPR.
Northam, also a Democrat, held the ceremonial bill signing at the Greensville Correctional Center just outside Jarratt, Virginia.
Virginia is the first state in the former Confederacy to cease capital punishment. The commonwealth has put to death more people than any other state since the first execution took place at Jamestown in 1608.
Michael Stone, executive director of Virginians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty says George Floyd’s death really added fuel to make change when it comes to reforming criminal justice.
“The Black Lives Matter protests turbocharged the move toward criminal justice reform in general and death penalty abolition in particular,” Stone said, according to NPR.
Northam thanked his colleagues for passing the bill for him to sign: “Virginia will join 22 other states that have ended the use of the death penalty. This is an important step forward in ensuring that our criminal justice system is fair and equitable to all.”
- Task force destroys excavators allegedly belonging to NPP Women’s Organiser
- Fuel prices to go up again – Chamber of Petroleum Consumers Ghana
- Cameron Duodu: Sɛbe o, tafrakyɛ, na ‘Ɔte K’ɔkɔɔ Soɔ’ deɛ, yɛbɔ n’ano sɛn? – With all due respect, how can the occupant of the Golden Stool be silenced?
- 23-year-old arrested for attempting to sacrifice his nephew for money rituals
- Kokomba warriors kill human-attacking antelopes
- Mahama’s ‘dumsor’ is different from Akufo-Addo’s – Kweku Awotwi
- Armed men attack NPP Communicator
- Armed robbers jailed for robbing, raping pregnant woman
- 2nd dose of Covid-19 vaccines to be deployed from May 19 – Akufo-Addo
- Dr. Adoma Dwomo-Fokuo Odame: Dear Sam George, red is the only colour that matters
Farmers in Upper East unhappy about increase in prices of government subsidised fertilizers
Executive recruitment for position of EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
SSCIS and partners to offer fully-funded masters programme to girls in Ghana and Nigeria
Government’s initiatives to fight Covid-19 even better than those of advanced economies – Bawumia
Police await final report on 2-year-old boy sacrificed by father
Victoria Awusi Hlovor
Rapper J. Cole makes his debut in African basketball league
Dr Opuni, others file motion for stay of proceedings
Business Executive held over spousal murder halts wife burial
Miss Universe contestants unveil protest messages in politically charged pageant
Sometimes the girl who is always there for everyone else needs someone there for her
I don’t write songs for people anymore – King Promise
NDC has done more for healthcare in Ghana than NPP – Sammy Gyamfi responds to Nana Aba Anamoah
“I’m not proud of it” – referee for Hearts v Sharks game apologises for errors
Ghanaians to re-register SIM cards in June or risk losing phone numbers