Although it may seem as though every brand has got some form of collaborative project going on right now, it’s really Adidas that is on the winning streak.
The German super brand just furthered its partnership with Disney’s Star Wars, immortalizing Baby Yoda as a trainer, has worked with Noah on a capsule collection of sustainable gear, has an ongoing line with Pharrell Williams and, of course, has been working with Prada on a line of trainers and apparel.
Now, for winter 2020, Adidas has centred its focus on London and one designer in particular: Grace Wales Bonner, the 28-year-old London Fashion Week regular and winner of the 2016 LVMH Young Designer award, who has worked with the giant on a capsule collection spanning footwear and clothing.
First shown in January as part of her Autumn/Winter 2020 collection during London Fashion Week, the Wales Bonner x Adidas collection is inspired by Bob Marley, Adidas’ extensive archive, the 1970s and dancehall, the latter being an ongoing theme in Bonner’s collections.
Bonner has taken the iconic three-striped Adidas tracksuit and given it an elevated rework by way of embroidery, crocheted stripe details and oversized ribbing, paying homage to her British-Jamaican roots and memories of those sports-centric dancehall uniforms, as well as Marley, who famously wore his sportswear in an elegant way.
Meanwhile, a yellow long-sleeved football jersey and a multi coloured knitted roll neck serve as nods to the style of the 1970s.
Tracksuits and rollneck knits aside, it’s the footwear that really sets this collection apart. Bonner has taken on the oft overlooked SL72 silhouette and two different versions of the Adidas Samba.
First, the SL72 captures the spirit of the 1970s with a corduroy upper, rich velvet and antique leather overlays, and a tricolour rubber outsole, and comes in trace pink, collegiate orange, maroon and hemp, maroon and forest-green colourways.
One take on the Samba sees the design receive crochet and hand-stitched details, as well as an elongated tongue, which extends over the laces, and now comes in black and cream.
Meanwhile, Bonner’s second Samba features a raw cotton upper, hand-stitched details, velvet laces, a translucent rubber outsole and comes in a cream and brown colour way.
Of the collection, Bonner says: “It was amazing to get into the archive with Adidas and really study how it has been interpreted by different cultures across times.
I was interested in elevating the familiar and bringing an eveningwear and tailored sensibility to this essential collection.”
- Canada implements visa-free travel for more countries excluding Ghana
- #KenMustGo: Entire caucus would’ve to take a decision on Finance Minister – Majority Leader
- I feel victimized; what wrong have I done in this country? – Prof. Frimpong-Boateng
- Assin North by-election: NPP elects Charles Opoku as parliamentary candidate
- Nigerian states cut working week to three days
- Parliament approves Gertrude Torkornoo’s nomination as Chief Justice
- Our mission was successful until big-people-sponsored-companies started doing whatever they want – Prof. Frimpong on IMCIM
- Rwanda’s President sacks more than 200 soldiers including generals
- Playback: Prof Frimpong-Boateng speaks about his arrest by Special Prosecutor
- If I were a thief, I would’ve been one of the richest Ghanaians – Prof Frimpong-Boateng
- Green Ghana Day comes off Friday, June 9
- Pernod Ricard Ghana’s planting of 10k trees begins at Moree
- N’Golo Kanté poised to seal £86m-a-year move to Saudi Arabia’s Al-Ittihad
- Jude Bellingham: From humble beginnings to shining on football’s biggest stages
- West Ham win Europa Conference League: ‘Moments the club and David Moyes will never forget’
- NSMQ23: Nafana Presby SHS topples Berekum SHS in tie-breaker to secure national slot
- West Ham win dramatic Europa Conference League final
- Mrs Rebecca Appiah De Graft-Johnson
- CLOGSAG declares indefinite strike action in Ho Municipal Assembly
- African Border Day: Lands Minister calls for proper management of land borders
- 2023 African Boxing Championships: Black Bombers could miss out on competition
- Ofori-Atta must be supported to fully implement IMF programme – Analysts
- Crude oil contributed 3.7% to Ghana’s GDP in 2020 – EITI Report
- U-20 WWCQ: CAF releases format and procedure for Thursday’s draw
- Ugandan president tests positive for Covid