Rite Sports CEO, Yaw Sakyi Afari, has tasked other sporting disciplines to gather data so as to help government and potential sponsors to make informed decisions.
In the last few years, there have been a number of discussions centred on the lack of support for sports apart from football.
In an interview on the Joy Sports Link on Saturday, Mr Sakyi started by highlighting the fact that not everyone will be fascinated by football growing up.
“The focus for me is what support are we giving to other disciplines? In my checks the other time with the National Sports Authority, [I found out that] we have over 30 sporting disciplines,” he told Nathaniel Attoh.
“What kind of support are we giving to the other disciplines to come up and be more competitive? The fact is not every child growing up will be eager to play football. We need to give them an opportunity to hone their talents.”
He then tasked the various sporting disciplines to make a concious effort to gather data so as to help them receive funding from relevant associations.
“What we are lacking [in Ghana] is data. What support is basketball and other sports given? We need the data to be able to make policies concerning them.”
“If the minister of Youth and Sports wants to allocate funding to football, he knows that he is giving them the amount because the sport is functioning well in this country. There are clubs, academies and several things which are clear. Every kid that wants to play football knows the path to go through. Can we say the same for others?”
Sakyi and Rite Sports Limited are behind Ghana’s biggest basketball competitions including the Sprite Ball Championship.
- Stephen Appiah excludes Asamoah Gyan from his list of best Ghanaian players
- We will not allow any religious group to plunge Ghana into chaos – Muntaka
- CID probes 53 schools over alleged corruption in school feeding programme
- Kwabena Agyepong’s NPP membership re-instated
- Manu, who delayed Ghana’s 4x100m baton, had never received a baton before – Coach
- #NSMQ2021: Mfantsiman Girls SHS dumped for the third time in a row at regional championships
- Family sues Daasebre Oti Boateng for failing to replace a statue he destroyed
- Students of Takoradi Technical University reject certificate
- Customs driver jailed for selling official vehicle
- SALL kicks against EC’s decision to amend C.I. for them to vote in 2024
Italian woman accidentally given six shots of Covid-19 vaccine
Drake is Billboard’s Artist of the Decade, will receive honor at 2021 Billboard Music Awards
We’ll work for food security reserves – ECOWAS
Pandemic could lead to more child obesity, WHO Europe office warns
French court fines, sentences Oppong Weah’s son for reckless partying
Salifu Ibrahim not being swayed by man of the match awards
SYND-Ghana backs Lands Ministry’s fight against exploitation of forest reserves
‘I left home so I can take care of my family,’ – A ‘kayayo’ on why she is on the streets
Make a deliberate effort to own a copy of the 1992 Constitution – NCCE
Parliament to reconvene on May 25 to commence second meeting
Dr Mavis Owureku Asare: Wesley Girls’ no fast policy is not about religion
NSMQ 2021: Tamasco and 3 others secure tickets to Accra on day one of Northern Regional qualifiers
Former British High Commissioner to Ghana, Craig Murray jailed for contempt in the UK
Even though it hurts to see you with her, I’m genuinely happy for you
To my ex-lover that I can’t move on from