The Old Guards Association of the ruling National Democratic Congress (NDC) has urged the leadership to take steps to address the concerns raised by the party’s founder, ex-President Jerry Rawlings.
It said everything should be done to enlist the support of the former President for the party’s re-election bid and warned that any attempt to sideline him “will be politically suicidal.”
This was contained in a press statement issued by the association in Kumasi and signed by its chairman, Oheneba Asamoah Atuahene.
The Old Guards expressed discomfort about the conduct and poor attitudes of some government’s appointees, which they said were alienating many of the loyalists who had in the past served the party in various capacities.
It said it was important to appreciate that the experiences and knowledge of these people needed to be harnessed to assure the NDC of victory in the upcoming elections.
“The job ahead of us as a party in government seeking the mandate of Ghanaians for a second term is enormous and therefore all hands must be on deck.”
The association invited the members and supporters to have the courage to point out the shortcomings of the appointees and ensure that they focused on helping President John Evans Atta Mills to deliver on the “Better Ghana Agenda.”
It called for unity in the party and appealed to members and supporters to smooth over their differences.
The Old Guards also urged political tolerance and responsible conduct to make this year’s general polls peaceful.
All should accept to play their expected roles well to ensure a clean and credible election, it added.
- Nurse who was verbally abused by Ashanti Region NSS Boss no longer at Manhyia Hospital – GRNMA
- Moody’s downgrades Ghana to further junk status, warns investors could lose in debt restructuring
- NSS summons Ashanti Region boss for investigation
- Dubai’s ENOC denies gold-for-oil barter talks with Ghana
- ‘You’ll see, more is coming from my boy’ – Andre Ayew on Kudus’ future
- Ronaldo receives $225m offer to play for Saudi Arabian club
- 14 pupils receiving treatment after school bus somersaults, falls into a ditch
- Why General Arts students are ‘bleeding’ on social media
- Sack Ashanti Region NSS boss; he is unfit to be director in public service – GRNMA tells government
- Nurse who was verbally abused by Ashanti NSS boss at Manhyia Hospital under care of psychologist – GRNMA
- Node Eight leads digital revolution agenda in the Volta Region
- ‘Insulting’ Ashanti Regional NSS Boss to appear before Committee of Inquiry
- Royal Choice Academy wins Jan Binder green and sanitation contest for basic schools
- Wenchi High Court throws out petition against NPP MP’s 2020 election victory
- Ghana will go down the drain should 2023 budget be delayed – Deputy Finance Minister warns
- Peace Council moves to address allegations of ethnic identity-based discrimination, marginalization by Ewes
- Is it unrealistic to expect that my spouse’s life revolves around me?
- “We’ve been tracking Mohammed Kudus for more than one year” – Barcelona Director
- Pork prices up by 40% in three months
- 2022 World Cup: Ghana will not be seeking revenge against Uruguay – Otto Addo
- Increasing VAT rate was a lazy approach to burden faithful few – Bokpin
- ACCE charges new inductees to exude professionalism
- Afrobarometer receives major boost with $6m grant from Sweden
- Cement Producers bewail fall in demand due to high cost of production
- EOCO recovers over ¢27m crime monies in 10 months