The Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG) is demanding a 148% increase in tariff. If government fails to subsidise electricity tariffs, consumers could pay for an increment in light bills from August, 2022.
A proposal from the power distributor submitted to the Public Utilities Regulatory Commission (PURC), wants the adjustment to cover the period 2019 and 2022.
The ECG has subsequently proposed an average increase of 7.6% in tariff over the next four years to cover Distribution Service Charges (DSC).
ECG attributed the high increase in the Distribution Service Charges to the gap that has developed over the years between the actual cost recovery tariff and the PURC approved tariffs as well as the cost of completed projects.
It also mentioned the continual application of the prevailing tariff (which was 14% lower) beyond the stipulated regulatory period and the effect of macroeconomic factors such as inflation and exchange rate fluctuation.
Also, the Food and Drugs Authority (FDA) said it had closed down the East Legon branch of Marwako restaurant, following widespread reports of food poisoning on social media.
In a tweet on Thursday, the FDA stated that the move to close down the restaurant is to enable the Authority to conduct investigations into customers’ complaints.
“The FDA has taken notice of complaints from the public about the suspected food poisoning at the East Legon Branch of Marwarko Restaurant.
“We have closed down the restaurant and together with other relevant agencies, started investigations”, the tweet said.
The Public Relations Officer of the Restaurant, Mohammed Amin Lamptey, has been reacting to this.
If you missed any of the major stories in our bulletins this week – including the proposal for tariff increase and alleged food poisoning at Markako restaurant, Hannah Odame has the wrap for you.
- Ablakwa kicks court writ on the ground upon service by bailiff
- Rev Kusi Boateng injuncts Ablakwa from further publications on him
- Growing list of companies ordered by GRA to pay back-taxes
- Rev Victor Kusi Boateng sues Ablakwa for defamation
- GOIL attributes drop in diesel price to Gold for Oil barter deal
- I’ve instructed my lawyers to act on Rev Kusi Boateng’s injunction against me – Ablakwa
- Check out Akufo-Addo’s reaction as Black Sherif performs for him
- Diana Hamilton reveals why she won’t talk about National Cathedral
- Ex-policeman gets death penalty for lawyer’s murder
- Jihadists may have infiltrated Bawku – Upper East Regional Minister
- Musk found not guilty of fraud over Tesla tweet
- Man shot by police was cleaning out – family
- Number of staff suing Twitter ‘goes up daily’ – lawyer
- Nursing and Midwifery institutes prioritising theory over practical skills – Oncologist
- I started smoking at the age of 11 – Musician OJ Blaq reveals
- Ebenezer Kojo Kum resigns as Chieftaincy Minister
- President Akufo-Addo accepts Chieftaincy Minister’s resignation
- Livestream: One-on-one with Seth Terkper on PM Express
- I did national service in Aliu Mahama’s office despite being NDC member – Sam George
- Flora Tissue grants renowned actor Fred Amugi’s 74th birthday wish
- I’m unable to confirm whether 1st gold for oil consignment was paid in cash – Deputy BoG Governor
- I’ll later explain my comment about people who watch movies for long hours – Yaw Dabo
- University of Ghana VC must go – Concerned students demand
- Groundworks underway for construction of modern film studios in Ghana, West Africa – Idris Elba
- GRA withdraws $672m back-tax demand from MTN Group