Audio By Carbonatix
Contrary to what some marketers of the electronic cigarette imply in their advertisements, the World Health Organization (WHO) does not consider it to be a legitimate therapy for smokers trying to quit.
"The electronic cigarette is not a proven nicotine replacement therapy," said Dr Ala Alwan, Assistant Director-General of WHO's Non communicable Diseases and Mental Health Cluster. "WHO has no scientific evidence to confirm the product's safety and efficacy. Its marketers should immediately remove from their web sites and other informational materials any suggestion that WHO considers it to be a safe and effective smoking cessation aid."
Marketers of the electronic cigarette typically describe it as a means to help smokers break their addictions to tobacco. Some have even gone so far as to imply that WHO views it as a legitimate nicotine replacement therapy like nicotine gum, lozenges and patches.
However a press release from WHO says there is no evidence for the marketers' claim that the electronic cigarette helps people quit smoking.
Indeed, as far as WHO is aware, no rigorous, peer-reviewed studies have been conducted showing that the electronic cigarette is a safe and effective nicotine replacement therapy.
According to the statement, WHO does not discount the possibility that the electronic cigarette could be useful as a smoking cessation aid. The only way to know is to test.
"If the marketers of the electronic cigarette want to help smokers quit, then they need to conduct clinical studies and toxicity analyses and operate within the proper regulatory framework, until they do that, WHO cannot consider the electronic cigarette to be an appropriate nicotine replacement therapy, and it certainly cannot accept false suggestions that it has approved and endorsed the product," the statement added.
Source: WHO
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
IES demands release of July 29 blackout report after latest nationwide outage
7 minutes -
Eastern TESCON backs Boakye Agyarko for NPP National Chairman
12 minutes -
Eduwatch demands review of BOGISS decision against 14-year-old alleged sexual abuse victim
17 minutes -
Banking sector was undercapitalised for much of decade preceding 2017 cleanup – Opoku-Afari
19 minutes -
Togo charges two French journalists over incorrect documents, rights group says
20 minutes -
Education Ministry condemns alleged sexual abuse of BOGISS student
30 minutes -
Lawyers challenge demolition of elderly woman’s Oyarifa residence, demand formal engagement
44 minutes -
Change in mode of support package for Ghanaians returning from South Africa delayed announcement – MTN Board Chairman
44 minutes -
Mining industry must rethink social licence with youth at the centre – GoldBod CEO
50 minutes -
BoG encourages banks to list on GSE to unlock long-term capital
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: Nandom SHS complete stunning comeback, edge Ghana SHS by a point to reach one-eighth stage
1 hour -
NPP must heal and rebuild after 2024 defeat to win 2028 election – Former Volta Regional Organiser of the NPP
1 hour -
Egypt to host Africa’s premier business forum
1 hour -
The bicycle principle: why continuity matters more than balance
1 hour -
Fire guts three-storey building near Manhyia Palace in Kumasi
2 hours