Audio By Carbonatix
Aqua Vitens Rand Limited (AVRL) on Monday said the source of the stinky dirty tap water problem that faced residents of parts of La and Osu in Accra had been discovered and resolved.
Communications Director of AVRL, Mr Stanley Martey, told the Ghana News Agency that the water flowing through taps now was completely wholesome and safe for drinking.
GNA reported last week that dirty stinking water had been running through the tap os some homes in the capital.
Following the reports the AVRL dispatched a team of experts to trace the source of the problem.
Mr. Martey said the problem was traced to a broken underground pipeline from the pressure of a fence wall of a house just behind where the statue of Sergeant Adjetey at La.
“The fence wall is built right on top of our pipe line and that caused it,” he said.
He said as a result, waste water flowing from a nearby tie and dye manufacturer got its way into the broken pipe line and then through the taps of homes within the community.
Mr Martey said the fence wall has been demolished and the broken pipeline fixed, adding that, the infected pipeline had also been disinfected and flushed to ensure the wholesomeness of the water.
“We will continue to monitor the quality of the water on daily basis for the next two weeks and we also urge residents of the community to call our toll free line 080040000 and report any water quality problem they discover,” he said.
He appealed to residents of the area to desist from encroaching on space demarcated for utility purposes, saying that governments demarcated space beside every major road for utility companies to locate their facilities.
Mr Martey admitted that the water pipeline was quite old but could have survived longer if the fence wall had not been built on it.
He said AVRL would assist the tie and dye company to properly channel its waste water into the drainage system within the area.
“We want to allay the fears of the public that there is no need for panic because the problem was within a small area and nothing more,” he said.
He also assured the public that AVRL would continue with its routine monitoring activities to ensure that the water quality was always the best.
“We wish to thank the media, particular GNA, for their support during our effort to resolve the problem,” he said.
Mrs. Sandra Ollenu, a resident of the house where the GNA first discovered the water problem confirmed that the water flowing through their tap was now clean and wholesome.
Source: GNA
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Education Ministry condemns alleged sexual abuse of BOGISS student, orders reinstatement to boarding status
6 minutes -
Lawyers challenge demolition of elderly woman’s Oyarifa residence, demand formal engagement
21 minutes -
Change in mode of support package for Ghanaians returning from South Africa delayed announcement – MTN Board Chairman
21 minutes -
Mining industry must rethink social licence with youth at the centre – GoldBod CEO
27 minutes -
BoG encourages banks to list on GSE to unlock long-term capital
37 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Nandom SHS complete stunning comeback, edge Ghana SHS by a point to reach one-eighth stage
39 minutes -
NPP must heal and rebuild after 2024 defeat to win 2028 election – Former Volta Regional Organiser of the NPP
56 minutes -
Egypt to host Africa’s premier business forum
58 minutes -
The bicycle principle: why continuity matters more than balance
1 hour -
Fire guts three-storey building near Manhyia Palace in Kumasi
1 hour -
Bank of Africa Ghana appoints Ellis Erasmus Katwebaze as Deputy Managing Director
1 hour -
Adamus Resources challenges revocation of mining leases, says it was not notified of breaches
1 hour -
Mineworkers petition Finance Minister over GH¢380m locked-up funds, threaten strikes
1 hour -
Mental Health Authority takes steps to shut down illegal Kumasi spiritual centre housing 2,000 patients
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: St. Hubert Sem edge Bright SHS in three-point thriller to book one-eighth spot
2 hours