Rapper M.anifest is unhappy with the deployment of over 200 police officers to serve as personal bodyguards to all parliamentarians.
According to him, the MPs are meant to serve the country and not prioritise their interest over that of the people.
“To be chosen to lead is to be a servant of the people. Not to prioritise your life over theirs,” the ‘Big Mad‘ hitmaker tweeted.
To be chosen to lead is to be a servant of the people. Not to prioritise your life over theirs. https://t.co/DprLxftH8f— M.anifest (@manifestive) October 14, 2020
His comments come after Interior Minister, Ambrose Dery announced the officers were being deployed to protect MPs.
According to him, this forms part of measures to counter the growing cases of attacks on public officials in the country.
The decision follows the death of the MP for the Mfantseman Constituency who was shot by armed robbers in the central region.
Reacting to M.anifest’s post some Twitter users agreed with the rapper stating that the decision to deploy police will only affect the security in other parts of the country.
However, others disagreed explaining that the MPs have to protect themselves to be able to do their duty.
Their lives are at risk because they’ve never prioritizes the security of this nation. Even positions in our police force are on partisan lines. They’ve helped create monsters in the land and so yes they need to protect themselves leaving us helpless.— Dead.Men.Tell.No.Tales (@negus_negust) October 14, 2020
Had they been SERIOUS or had they ever prioritized the security of this nation, we wouldn’t be having this discussion. Parliament has proven to be one of the most useless institutions in the history of this country.— Dead.Men.Tell.No.Tales (@negus_negust) October 14, 2020
The non politicians you are talking about pay for the services rendered to them by the police whiles the MP’s would be paid with the tax payers money— Surv. KUDZE EMMANUEL (@amKudze) October 14, 2020
The MP’S lives are not superior than any other person. But you have to understand that,their lives are at risk. JB Danquah was murdered in his own house and now the Mfantsipim Mp and you think this is a joke?! The really need to be protected at all cost!!!— BRA ODURO🏁 (@OduroGarbrah) October 14, 2020
MP got shot u dey provide police officers give all MPs.— Mr. Mufasa (@Lhifa_jnr) October 14, 2020
So if the normal citizen also gets shot how will you tackle it???
Provide police officers for all citizens???
The problem be SECURITY. Solve the problem.
They have the means to afford the security for themselves but they are still being protected at our own cost privileges all around— HIS MAJESTY 🏄 (@Chap_man21) October 14, 2020
I wonder. Dey don’t care abt us— Bra Jay Tee (@J_Tellem) October 14, 2020
Serving who? They’re just doing shoddy works to milk the nation’s money. Had they made security a priority, we wouldn’t be talking about this.— UncleScar (@proudblackbwoy) October 14, 2020
Da ordinary Ghanaian is targeted erday but I guess sme lives r more important dan others— Bra Jay Tee (@J_Tellem) October 14, 2020
Boris Johnson rides bicycle to work,with ours it’s their bad deeds that makes the scared. corrupted beings, thinking of their stomachs and not the farewell of the citizens… Mtcheww … If i were to be a sniper eerrr lol— Quame🇬🇭🇬🇭🇬🇭🇾🇪🇾🇪🇾🇪 👽 (@quame_ozeey) October 14, 2020
Hmmm, sad where the leaders see themselves more important than us— Kwabena Asare Your MC (@ramsobo) October 14, 2020
Meanwhile, Security Analyst, Colonel Festus Aboagye (retired), also said government’s decision to provide personal security for MPs will come at a cost to public safety.
Speaking to Joy News’ Evans Mensah on ‘Top Story’ on Tuesday, he said the move will devoid other state security offices of personnel.
“The reality of what this decision is that effective the time that the IGP finds 200 Police officers to assign for MP protection duties, the areas of operation for the Police – say patrolling or rapid reaction – are going to suffer because he will necessarily have to withdraw Police officers from some of the operational elements” he explained.
- Disregard statement declaring Friday, Sept 30 as a holiday – Oyibi Divisional Council
- Danadams Pharmaceuticals and CEO in court over alleged fraud and forgery
- GFA suspends 2022/23 Ghana Premier League over court injunction
- Man arrested for threatening to release nude videos of late brother’s wife
- ‘I’m extremely regretful’ – KiDi apologises for ‘inappropriate and unkind’ old tweets
- T Bills, short-term securities will not be affected by Ghana’s debt restructuring – US-based Associate Professor
- Land acquisition: Here is what you missed on Joy FM’s Super Morning Show
- Pastor jailed for life after planning coup and black genocide
- We will still be a prime supplier of Mercedes-Benz services in Ghana – Silver Star
- Every single day Akufo-Addo remains President, the country drifts into peril – Dr Amoako Baah
- Trevor Noah is leaving ‘The Daily Show’
- Banking sector crisis was not systemic – Alhassan Andani
- Banking Sector Clean-up: We should have allowed institutional disciplines to work – Alhassan Andani
- Banking sector crisis: State institutions must raise red flags at the right time – Alhassan Andani
- GRASAG launches Graduate Research Trust Fund to support scientific and policy-oriented research for national development
- British Airways flight A380 makes technical stop at KIA
- Ghana, Korea $8 million rice project kicks off in Assin North
- SIM re-registration: National Security has warned Akufo-Addo against blockage – Deputy Minority Chief Whip
- We are engaging ECG to fix anomaly with electricity purchase – PURC
- Chinese employer allegedly slashes throat of Ghanaian employee
- SIM re-registration: “Eat your humble pie” – Sam George tells Ursula Owusu
- NIA called, begged 9 Ghanaians to come for their Ghana Cards after filing complaint in court – Sam George
- Livestream: PM Express discusses the survival of banks in economic crisis
- Mfantsipim Old Boys Association holds annual engagement series
- betPawa Premier League: Seydou Zerbo getting frustrated with Kotoko strikers